Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #73 -- There's No Place like Home


THIRTEEN TV SHOWS

THAT CHANGED FOR THE WORST

WHEN THEY CHANGED LOCATIONS


I love I Love Lucy, unless she’s in Connecticut. When I tune into the TV Land Classic and see that living room with the staircase, I inwardly groan. The Riccardos belong in NYC! The vacations in Europe, Florida and, of course, Hollywood were fun, but we knew that eventually they were returning to that brownstone. Lucy in the burbs is just wrong.

I’m not alone in feeling this way. More than 560 voters at Jump the Shark agree with me. Here are the top 13 shows TV aficionados believe lost their way when they left home.

1) The X-Files moved from Vancouver to LA
2) All in the Family lost Gloria, Mike and little Joey to their own home
3) Laverne and Shirley moved from Milwaukee to Los Angeles
4) I Love Lucy goes out to the country
5) The Facts of Life girls graduate and open Edna’s Edibles
6) Little House on the Prairie leaves that little house behind
7) Coach graduates from college ball to the NFL and Florida
8) Pinky and the Brain move to Elmyra’s
9) Perfect Strangers moved from their own little apartment to a big house with their girlfriends
10) Pimp My Ride moved to a new shop
11) Yes, Dear moved into their own home
12) McHale’s Navy left their post in the South Pacific for Italy
13) Mary Tyler Moore nails her M on the wall of a bigger apartment

If this were MY list, and not one I stole from jumptheshark.com, it would have Kate moving in with Allie and husband Bob on Kate and Allie and Tony moving out of Angela’s house on Who’s the Boss? in the top 13. (Uh-oh! Did I just admit to watching Who’s the Boss?)

Include your link in the comments and I'll add you here:
1) Michelle has a beautiful, arty TT
2) Malcolm takes us back to the 1980s
3) Chelle gives us a tour of her family room
4) See what Allison is willing to reveal about Allison
5) Hootin' Ani shares more wisdom from Jefe
6) SJR gets us in the Indepedence Day spirit
7) Bellezza and her dog Henry take us for a hike in the woods
8) Jenny McB just doesn't get these 13 things
9) Nicholas takes on workplace cliches
10) Claudia shares what works for her
11) Susiej dedicates her summery TT to ice cream
12) Kristi curls up and dozes off for her TT
13) Sandy remembers George Carlin
14) Susan Helene Gottfried has more musical misadventures of the "fake" variety
15) Jehara shows us her home
16) Journeywoman shares some of George Carlin's best bits
17) Lori gets all yummy on us
18) Clarence shares 13 facts about poor young Paloma
19) Forgetfulone shares what she learned during her Arizona vacation
20) Angie remembers rocking in the 1980s
21) Renee highlights her favorite Post Secrets
22) Peter Plum introduces us to a game of chance
23) Lisa's TT is devoted to Q
24) Brenda helps the budding author in each of us
25) Amy catches us up on the last 7 years
26) Clara has some breathtaking lighthouse shots
27) Chris ends his June 13s on a proud note


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



32 comments:

  1. You are so right about all of these shows. Great idea for a TT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I did a T13 about shows that "jumped the shark", I also included "Laverne and Shirley" because of it's move to California. They should have stayed in Milwaukee. Lord knows that there are enough shows set in La La Land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I remember these too!

    http://www.chelleyoung.com/index.php/archive/thursday-thirteen-115-thirteen-things-i-can-see-in-my-family-room-right-now/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:37 PM

    Heh, I don't know about some of those...but I so agree with the ones I do know! It's amazing how a change can make such a BAD change in a show!

    http://allisonsays.com/2008/06/25/thursday-thirteen-4/

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. three and four I would have to agree, I'm not really sure about the others since I've not watched all that many on your list.

    By popular demand: Jefé is back with 13 bits of aged wisdom! Come on over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny! I'm impressed with the McHale's Navy mention.

    I think Lucy was funny in CT. There was an episode with a lawn mower and some flower. Hilarious.

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you; I still miss old shows period! Especially NYPD Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have enjoyed many a family discussion about the jumping the shark. It's a shame that most of the shows had to go bad and yes, I gotta agree that Lucy in Connecticut just wasn't right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never realized! Interesting list! Very good T-13!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:25 PM

    I haven't seen most of the ones you mention but I can't agree about Mary Tyler Moore. That show stayed at the top of its game until they voluntarily brought it to a close.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:38 PM

    I think it's greed. No one wants to let go of the cash cow.

    I wonder about people's idea of their own quality. I mean is it worth making money if your product is crap? I hope (when I'm a best selling novelist that is! ;) that I won't ever get trapped like this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:03 PM

    You are so right on... I have never looked at it this way... but that's it!

    Coming up for air; the boys had camp, so we came home for a little civilization break. We're off again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't even know that Perfect Strangers jumped the shark. I must have stopped watching before that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're right! Though I did enjoy Lucy in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, I watched Who's the Boss, too!

    As soon as you mentioned changing locations, I thought of Laverne and Shirley. I can't disagree with a single one on this list -- or with the two you added. Good thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i haven't thought about kate and allie in years. i liked that show.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9:09 PM

    VERY true.

    Love the list.

    Mine's up. A Tribute to George Carlin.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I havent seen the majority of those shows but i am an I Love Lucy fan. You're right...she doesnt belong in the burbs:) Happy TT my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, I watched Who's The Boss too. ;) But I've not heard of Kate and Allie. Nice list you found.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I so agree! Lucy, Perfect Strangers, Mary Tyler Moore, and All in the Family. Some of my favorites while I was growing up, but they just didn't stay the same when the location changed. Great idea for T13! Mine's up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous1:32 AM

    Great list. Can't say, I ever considered it, but the list is right on the money.
    Have a great Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved Coach and MTM until their big moves...

    Great idea for TT!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous5:44 AM

    That's a good list. I can remember MTM nailing her M on her bigger apartment, and I tend to agree with you-- they also spent a whole lot more time focusing on her and Rhoda there once they got that set constructed. It changed the show's dynamic.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Isn't funny how location is EVERYTHING for certain shows! I would have to add when the Kids from Saved by the Bell graduated as well!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great post. I'm going to have to go to the Jump the Shark site. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ok, this was very creative and sooo true. the Facts of Life did change!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I missed a lot of those shows, but I certainly agree about Lucy. I watched Who's the Boss, too.

    Come by and see my lighthouses.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous1:20 PM

    I so agree about Lucy in the country. Not right at all. Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  30. what a great list...and so true! Once they moved..the show just went down hill. Thanks for sharing :-D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yeah I agree the charm from the shows goes away...I havent watched all of them though...

    Happy TT! and here's the link to mine...http://rimsquest.blogspot.com/2008/06/16th-tt.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am with you on I Love Lucy, but not only do I groan I typically change the channel! I had forgotten that Laverne and Shirley moved to LA, maybe I had quit watching the show by that time.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.