Friday, August 03, 2007

August Happiness -- Friday 3

Happiness is living in a village of book lovers. I live in a town that has three well-stocked libraries, and tonight was the major fundraiser to support our library system: the used book sale. The whole town gets behind this event. Every year we set a new record for books donated. Then there's the sale itself: Doors open at 6:00, admission is $5. When I arrived at 5:30, the line was already out the door and down the street. Paperbacks are 50¢ and hardcovers are $1. My brown paper bag of books was $5.50 and I'm thrilled with my finds, especially the one I got for my best friend about cooking in the Southwest of France. Other people had duffle bags and packing boxes filled with books. As a village, we must have brought in a ton of bucks for our libraries, and that makes me happy.

PS Every year I make note of the book that I see which book my neighbors found easiest to part with. Last year it was The Nanny Diaries. This year I saw copy after copy of The Corrections.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my feast :) I agree about Anne Frank. And I am very jealous that you are in a community of book lovers. Because I live in a University community, we are all to preoccupied with text books. I'd love to be able to swap books and read for fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh...I just *luv* our Friends of the Library book-sales!! I bet you got yourself a SERIOUS selection up in your neck of the woods (my best girlfriend hails from up your way...you guys have the best food, the best entertainment, so I don't doubt you have some great booksales) and, suprisingly for such a little burg, ours are pretty awesome too! Yeah. *that's* what I need...more books!! LoL!

    Happy Reading,

    ReplyDelete
  3. My problem is that I have too many books already! And I donate boxes and boxes of them, but yet my shelves are over-flowing. But I can't resist our library's sale either.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.