Monday, July 02, 2007

Not about Scooter Libby

The blogosphere and cable TV are abuzz about the commutation, but except that I'm surprised by the timing, I must admit I don't care. On a purely human level, I don't even mind. Scooter Libby risked everything to take one for the team. He lied to protect Bush, Cheyney and Rove. In a way, it's kinda nice to see they aren't going to let him twist in the wind.

Which is not to say that I haven't found the last 6 years enormously, profoundly disappointing.

I finally got a chance to watch the PBS/Tavis Smiley Presidential Debate and was struck by all the issues that were covered. Subjects I don't believe I've heard this President talk about in depth, nor within the framework of his faith: Race, poverty, AIDS here at home, economic disparity, Katrina, outsourcing jobs and the crisis in Darfur. With the exception of Kucinich and Gravel, I realized I could be pleased and proud to have any one of those Democrats as my next President.

Instead we have a President who is pleased and proud to have appointed the judges who helped overturn Brown v. Board of Education.

Who allows Iraq to suck all the oxygen out of the atmosphere, confident he's doing the right thing because he's appealed to his "Higher Father" about this war.

Who is concerned about Terri Schiavo's right to life but, as governor, oversaw more than 110 executions.

Who fights more for the contents of IVF test tubes than for funding after-school programs, education, etc., for at-risk teenagers.

His brand of Christianity is so different from mine. His values are so different from mine.

I am not only offended by what George W. Bush does, I am offended that he cloaks it in religion. My religion. Especially when we live in a country that has a proud tradition of the separation of Church and State.

At least I understand the Scooter Libby commutation.

6 comments:

  1. you got some comment love over on my post.

    I cant help but think that the whole fact that the right conservative religious whatever it is has soured me on religion. Well many things have, its just not helping.

    The timing is ridiculous, except its July 4th week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:39 PM

    That decision was an absolute disgrace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if he really cared about his "friend" Scooter, he'd have pardoned him right off the bat. But he waited to see if Scooter would beat the rap and he (King George) wouldn't have to get his hands dirty and intervene.

    Scooter should have cut a deal and turned in evidence against these treasonous bastards rather than continue to cover their asses. Of course who knows what they would have done to him them?

    Great blog you have here Gal!! Mind if I blog roll you over at my place?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your blog, too, Pam. Maybe because we're both musers.

    Sparky brought us all together, didn't he? Isn't Sparky how you found this here Gal, Nicholas?

    Just can we please keep that Michael guy away? I don't mind being disagreed with (hell, all three of you disagree with me), but I don't appreciate being condescended to by a scary guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you think it was a matter of the henchmen (neocons) sitting around going, eeny, meeny, miney, mo, which one of us is going to go...someone had to be the fall guy.

    The God that they now use to defend their position is not my God and I find all of it disgraceful for our country. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I found you via Sparky Duck.

    He's a true Uniter ;-).

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.