Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The very last words I wanted to hear last night

"At this performance, the role of Martha will be played by Dierdre Madigan." Kathleen Turner had laryngitis and wasn't in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? last night. I was disappointed, of course, but her understudy did well enough and I dearly love this play.

I also think it's very, very funny. My friend Barb thought it was clever but depressing. As a matter of fact, it fascinated her that I laughed out loud and as often as I did. She thinks I have "issues." (No shit.) She's engaged to be married for the first time, so perhaps this blacker-than-pitch portrayal of matrimony wasn't a fun night at the theater for her.

Was for me, though.

"I swear, if you existed, I'd divorce you."
"Can't you get the latch up, either?"

Ah, Martha, you break me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.