Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Didn't think I'd react this way

When the Scooter Libby verdict came in, my friend Andy shot me an email with a very simple subject line: "Happy?"

Well, no, I'm not. I kinda feel sorry for Libby. And this kinda surprises me. So I've been giving it thought.

First of all, the poor SOB fell on his sword to protect his boss. That was obvious and very sad. A man that I am willing to assume is at heart patriotic and decent is now a convicted felon. I watched a C-Span interview with one of the jurors (yes, I am that geeky) and he feels the same way. I'm not saying he didn't commit perjury -- and clearly the jury believes he did, too. But the reason for the perjury was painfully obvious and it's hard to watch someone twist in the wind like that.

While I may be partisan, I do want the Bush Administration to do well and do right. They are running my country. If they succeed, we all succeed. So finding out how incredibly vindictive and petty they were regarding Wilson and Plame is disappointing. Seeing them held accountable for this is comforting, but not an occasion for rejoicing.

Lastly, it was Scooter Libby, not Karl Rove. I hate that pig-faced hate monger. Watching him go down -- that would be an occasion for rejoicing. (You didn't think I could actually stay on the high road, did you?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.