Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Oh, I must, must I?

Madonna is on the Today Show right now, talking about how she didn't expect to be "demonized" regarding her adoption of an African baby. Oh, look! She's all teary-eyed as she talks about young David's medical condition.

Whatever.

She's done bisexual chic. She's done her SEX book. She's tried Broadway. She's tried movies. She's been an angry ex-Catholic and a follower of Kaballah. She's been a cone-wearing strumpet and a Burberry-clad children's book author. Now she's Mia Farrow-cum-Angelina Jolie. I simply cannot take her seriously. I never have.

She just told Meredith Vieria that people like me "must" take her seriously.

Sorry, no.

She's not an artist. She has no unique voice or compelling POV. She's a marketer. I work in advertising, so I grant her my grudging admiration for her gift for getting ahead of trends and reinventing herself. But that makes her as artistically valid as a light beer. In terms of her musical "product" and her public persona, I find her annoying and frivolous. She may be wealthy and successful, but (yawn) she's not powerful enough to make this old broad take her seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.