Monday, November 06, 2006

In praise of my TV Boyfriends







There's always been a character on a TV show that I really wanted to be real. Because he was so neat, because he was so likable, because I knew my life would be better with him in it. That makes these guys slightly different from crushes. I didn't necessarily fantasize about being in love with these characters. I'd be happy just to know them.

The first one, which I really don't remember but my mother reports was very serious, was Little Joe Cartwright. Bonanza was one of the first shows we saw in color, and apparently I used to cry whenever Little Joe was punched or shot.

Then there was Jeremy Bolt from Here Come the Brides. He was the youngest brother, a sensitive lad in an untamed country, and all he wanted was to get married and start a family. Oh, and he had blue eyes and a stutter. When I was in junior high, this was as good as it got.

Dr. Benjamin Franklin Pierce. Hawkeye from M*A*S*H. Gifted, verbal, and allergic to hypocrisy. He took all the right things seriously and mocked the rest.

David Addison. See above. Except whereas Hawkeye was an exceptional surgeon, this Moonlighting detective really wasn't that good at detecting. This flaw made him more likeable, more dear.

Will Truman
of Will & Grace. Oh, I wish he was real! Smart, supportive and oh-so funny. And bonus! He could dress me!

Dr. McDreamy
from Grey's Anatomy. Ok, so I want to do him. It's lust, pure and simple. You got me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.