Sunday, November 05, 2006

I saw a film today, oh boy

Went to the movies today for the first time in ages and saw The Queen. Dame Helen Mirren was sublime. Between her performance and the script, you go from head-shaking disdain to empathy for this woman, Elizabeth, who is stuck with a formidable job to do … a job she never wanted.

I found myself just waiting for the moments when the real news footage of Diana appeared. She certainly knew how to command our attention! And the actor who played Tony Blair (Michael Sheen) was wonderful, too. I'm sorry that the real deal -- the actual Prime Minister -- has fallen out of favor in large part because he supported the United States' foreign policy.

I wish I had a smooth transition for this, but I don't. Peter O'Toole has a new movie coming out (Venus) and the trailer refers to him as "the best actor of his generation." No offense to Mr. O'Toole, but I believe that right about now, he's the ONLY actor of his generation. Richard Burton/dead. Richard Harris/dead. I mean, who else is left? OK, Albert Finney.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.