Monday, October 30, 2006

Happy news

My niece called me at dawn this morning. Her 14th birthday party will be celebrated en famille this Saturday. (Friday will be spent with her posse.) She sounded so happy and I'm so glad.

Her mother, my baby sister, is busier than any woman with two children has ever been. (No, really, just ask her.) And she has an unfortunate tendency to restrict access to her children as a way to exert power. (If I wasn't working hard at remaining cheerful, I would wander down memory lane to the kids' recent baptism and then my nephew's recent birthday.) Little Sis has things to work out and she'll either work them out in her own way or she won't. But ...

I just hated my niece thinking that we didn't care about her special day. 14 can be a delicate age. She deserves special consideration and I'm glad we're giving it to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.