Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Not me. Not yet, at least.

Traitors! Traitors, all!

I refer, of course, to the legions of Chicago pedestrians walking up and down State Street with white bags, adorned with the Macy's star.

It's not right. Once those were the trademark dark green bags of my beloved Marshall Field's.

I have yet to step foot in Macy's. It's too soon. I simply can't.

I'm told Macy's carries Jones New York, Liz Claiborne, and Eileen Fisher, just as Field's did. Before Macy's took over, I was reassured that the cosmetic lines would remain the same. The clock is still out front. I could still buy Frangoes, if I wanted to.

But I'm not ready for this yet. Not by a longshot.

Forget DisneyLand. To me, Marshall Field's State Street was The Magic Kingdom, The Happiest Place on Earth. Romantic, old architecture. A tradition of service (I was a guest, they always thanked me for waiting, and each purchase was wrapped individually in tissue paper). And Christmas. What will our holiday season be like without Marshall Field's?

Oh, sure, Federated has sent me a new credit card. I haven't even activated it yet.

Of course, I didn't cut it in half, either.

I suppose it's inevitable that I'll give in to the winds of change at some point. But not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.