Saturday 9: Animal Crackers in My Soup (1935)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
This month Saturday 9 will be tasty, featuring songs with food in the title.
1) Do you eat soup all year round, or do you consider it a seasonal dish? I seldom eat soup when it's hot outside.
2) Gazpacho is a popular cold soup. Made with water-rich tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers, it's considered a good choice for hot weather because it's hydrating. What are your favorite summertime foods? This summer I've had a lot of smoothies.
3) This week, Shirley Temple sings of the delights of having crackers in her soup. How often do you add crackers to your soup: always, sometimes, never? Always.
4) "Animal Crackers in My Soup" was the big musical number in the 1935 movie Curly Top. Shirley played Elizabeth, who helps her older sister find love with a handsome millionaire. Have you ever played matchmaker? If yes, were your efforts successful? I don't think I've ever fixed anyone up.
5) Gertrude Temple, Shirley's mother, was her daughter's onset hairstylist, creating the famous "curly top" with pin curls. What's your hair care regimen? Shampoo, condition, blow dray, spray. Every five weeks I get it cut/colored.
6) Bartenders are still called upon to create the non-alcoholic Shirley Temple, made with ginger ale, lemon-lime soda, and grenadine. What's the most recent alcoholic beverage you drank? Cranberry juice and vodka.
7) In 1935, when this song was popular, Amelia Earhart flew from Honolulu to Oakland, California. Are you a nervous flyer? Nervous doesn't even begin to describe it. I would describe myself as scared pissless.
8) Also in 1935, The Hoover Dam was dedicated. Today it's a popular tourist attraction, with more than 7 million visitors each year. Have you ever been to Las Vegas? Several times. For three or four days, it's great fun.
9) Random question: You get a spur-of-the-moment invitation to a meal with your best friend. Could you go wearing what you have on right now? No. I'm doing this first thing in the morning and I'm still in one of the long t-shirts I sleep in. I may be casual in my dress, but I always wear pants when I leave the house.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.