Today's Happiness: It all came together today. I have been worried about my short-term finances. Roy Hobbs has dental work coming up this week and the estimate is jaw dropping – between $820 and $2,335 (depending on whether he needs teeth pulled and how many). He has insurance, but since his gingivitis is chronic, they may well rule it a preexisting condition and not cover it. I have cash put aside for this, but I would rather not part with the whole $2,335.
Then there's Freddie and Fannie. There's a new lending policy that demands condo associations have 15% in reserves, up from the current 10%. OK, so that's a 5% increase in my monthly assessment right there. Then there's the higher prices we're paying for insurance, utilities, services and repairs (yet our President keeps insisting "affordability" is not an issue), so I predict each unit owner will welcome 2027 with 8% to 10% more in assessments each month.
I know that neither of these situations is all that unique to me. Neither is insurmountable, nor will they keep me from the upcoming film festival (Noir City Chicago) or my planned trips to Michigan to see my niece and her husband and Violet. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit I'm not thrilled with this unexpected outlay of cash.
But then today I got great news from the bank! They just did the annual analysis of my mortgage escrow and determined there's a surplus in my account. I received a check for $435! Great timing for the vet bill. But wait! There's more! My monthly mortgage payment has been reduced by $30/month. That will make the 2027 assessment increase more palatable.
I did nothing to precipitate this joyful turn of events except go to my mailbox. Isn't that grand?
Happy August Happiness Challenge!


No comments:
Post a Comment
Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.