Today's Happiness: A walk at sunset. I don't have many good memories of my dad. But this evening, one came roaring back, happy and clear. It was about 7:30, the sun was going down, and the heat and humidity had abated. On my way back from a walk I thought of my dad.
Some summer evenings, after dinner but before our baths, he'd take my older sister and me for a walk. He'd make it a game. We'd go up one street and down another and around this corner or that. Then, when he was sure we were turned around, he would challenge one or the other of us to find the way back home. I realize now he was trying to teach us our neighborhood. I was terrible at this game – then, like now, I had no sense of direction.
But I liked this time with him. He wasn't grumpy. He wasn't distracted. He wasn't shouting at clouds. He seemed to want to be with my sister and me.
I said a little prayer for my dad tonight. I hope that in Heaven, he gets to take long walks every evening and he's always relaxed and happy.
Happy August Happiness Challenge!


No comments:
Post a Comment
Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.