Saturday, September 30, 2017

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: Little Woman (1969)
True confession: The first concert I ever attended was Bobby Sherman, and I had this very picture of him on my bedroom door. He was the hottest thing around, before David Cassidy and Donny Osmond came along. (Preteen girls are so fickle.)

1) This song contains many weather references (clouds, rainbows, sunshine, rain). How's the sky where you are today? Clear and pretty cloudless.

2) Bobby Sherman sings that when he's alone, he imagines his "Little Woman" is right there beside him. Do you often daydream? All the time. FOCUS, GAL, FOCUS!


3) Bobby had a very bright smile. Do you ever use whiteners on your teeth? Every six months I use white strips.

4) He was beloved for his shiny hair. If we were to peek in your bathroom, how many haircare products would we find? Two different shampoos, one conditioner, hairspray. Does the blow dryer count? There's a hairbrush on the sink.

5) After high school, Bobby attended Pierce, a community college in the west San Fernando Valley. For culinary students, Pierce offers courses in canning -- specifically apples and peaches. If we were to peek into your pantry, would we find canned fruits? I have two cans of cling peaches. Purchased at the store. I didn't "put them up" my self.

6) As an actor, one of Bobby's earliest performances was on the TV show Honey West. That series revolved around a female "private eye" adept at martial arts. Do you have any self-defense moves (that don't involve a weapon)? No.

7) In 1966, Bobby did this rather energetic commercial for milk. Do you often enjoy a glass of milk? I seldom drink milk by itself anymore. Usually it's for my cereal. 


8) When his show business career waned, he became a paramedic. Have you ever called 911? Once. I interrupted a rape in progress. It's scary in retrospect, but at the time, I kept my cool because I was so angry. My arrival may have stopped him from actually violating her sexually, but he had subdued her by hitting her in the face so hard he dislocated her jaw. No human has the right to handle another human that way. She was so frightened and in so much pain. I can still remember the feel of her nails in my skin, she was holding my arm so tight while we waited for the police to arrive. I didn't have to testify in court because she refused to cooperate with his prosecution. The police suspected that the assault was in retribution for a drug deal gone wrong, and she was very afraid of her "employers."

9) Random Question: Which book do you think you could learn more from -- The Joy of Sex or The Joy of Cooking? I could certainly improve my expertise in both areas!

6 comments:

  1. That's a real Bobby Sherman photo?? My first reaction was that his head was photo shopped onto someone else's body. I liked Bobby a LOT, but something about that photo just creeps me out.

    Holy cow, that is one scary situation you found yourself in! No one "deserves" that kind of treatment no matter what they do with their lives, but man, it probably would have ticked me off to no end that she wouldn't testify against the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, my mom was not inclined to let us hang pics of stars up, let alone like that one!!! LOL!! How terrifying to witness what you did, but how brave of you to call 911 and stop the progress of the brutality. UGH! I bet that young lady will always remember what you did. How sad though that she wouldn't testify.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bobby was a hottie!

    And #8 --YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Crap on that rape story!! Victims really can feel intimidated for a long time after something like that. You did the right thing though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a terrifying thing to witness, but how fortunate you were there to do what was necessary. I grew up in an abusive household and had forgotten, but after a while I started calling 911 when my parents would call me screaming at one another after I married and left home (then they stopped involving me). Wish I'd had the courage to do it when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Do you have any self-defense moves (that don't involve a weapon)? No." Great answer! I think most women should be allowed to carry Mace, including teens.
    What a terrible incident you stopped in it's tracks. There is so much such "punishment" going on in the underbelly.
    That picture of Bobby S. just looks, to me, like any random surfer dude standing around waiting for a wave. They are almost all built like that.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.