Saturday, April 08, 2017

Ernie died

Ernie was my next door neighbor. He just moved in last July. He was newly divorced and newly retired and looking to "start fresh." He was friendly, jolly and optimistic. A big man with a full mop of snowy white hair.

I hadn't seen him lately. Come to think of it, I don't think I've spoken to him this year.

I talked to one of his daughters today. Ernie was diagnosed with cancer in January and it ravaged him quickly.

She says that, on the one hand, she's glad that didn't suffer long. On the other hand, he had "so many plans" he never got to realize. I explained to her that I'd lost both my parents, so I had a little window into what she was feeling. I gave her a hug.

Now I'm reflecting on my neighbor. He worked a lifetime, retired, began a new chapter in his life and died before he could enjoy it.

That sucks, Ernie. I wish you'd had the gift of more time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.