Saturday, May 07, 2016
Saturday 9: Mama (2015)
1) Gamal Lewis got the nickname "LunchMoney" in 10th grade because of his round cheeks and because lunch was his favorite part of the school day. What do you recall about lunchtime in the school cafeteria? Food fights. When I was a sophomore, the junior boys instigated some good-natured and delightful sorties. The school wasn't as amused as I was (the expense, the mess, the wasted food) but I thought they were great.
2) His father and uncle were members of the band Inner Circle. Their song, "Bad Boys" was the theme to the reality show Cops. What reality show have you seen recently? I'm ashamed to admit that it was The Kardashians. It came on after E! News and I was brushing my teeth and couldn't get to the remote in time. I do find myself fascinated by Kourtney's consistently dull, monotone voice. She sounds the same when she's "confessing" directly to the camera as she does when scolding her mother or sisters.
3) In this song, Mr. Lewis sings that his mama taught him
how to put on pajamas. What did you wear to bed last night? My Titanic boarding pass shirt. It was a souvenir from my trip to the Titanic exhibit at the Luxor in Las Vegas. It was fascinating, educational, moving and respectful.
4) He claims he can't ever lie to his mama because she'll hear it in his voice. Are you a convincing liar? Frighteningly so.
5) LunchMoney sings that his mama made him chicken soup when he was sick. Do you eat soup all year around, only during winter months, or just when you're battling a cold? I used to really enjoy soup. But I had to eat chicken soup almost daily when I was on my restricted diet and after three months of it, I'm ready for a nice long break.
6) The lyrics tell us that when her son was hungry, Mama reliably whipped something up. What's the last food you prepared? I had two grilled hot dogs (no buns) and a side of corn for dinner last night.
7) He also sings that his mama always made sure he had a few dollars in his pocket. Let's talk about you and money. Did you more recently lend or borrow it? I gave it. There's a fundraising page for a coworker whose brother is battling cancer. And today I'm making a donation in my mom's memory to her favorite charity.
8) Mother's Day is for grandmothers, too. Sam grew up calling her grandmother "Grandgran." Did you have a nickname for your grandmother? Within my family she was known as "Mimi." Behind her back I called her "Icky Grandma," among other things. The old girl drank and had a bit of a temper. Now my OTHER grandmother, "Grandma," she was the Norman Rockwell sweetheart of a grandmother. She's the one I think of on Mother's Day. But she didn't have a nickname.
9) To celebrate Mother's Day, Sam is giving away her own mother's favorite candy: Hershey Bars. Would you prefer milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or milk chocolate with almonds? Oooh! Milk chocolate with almonds.