Sunday, June 14, 2015

Love on Sunday

It's not uncommon to find people online attacking gay marriage because "God means marriage to result in babies." Here's the Scripture that is popular to quote:

•  Did He not make them one, with a portion of the Spirit in their union? And what was the one God seeking? Godly offspring. (Malachi 2:15)
 • Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control. (1 Timothy 2:15)

Photo courtesy of The Mirror
 
I wonder how those people react when they see this happy couple. He's 103, and she's 91 -- so it's safe to assume there won't be any "Godly offspring" from this union. He's divorced, which means he was an adulterer (according to Mark 10:11) when he took up with this lady more than 25 years ago.*

I'm a Christian. I converse with Christ every day, and I try to live in a way that brings Him joy and shows that I'm grateful for the life He gave me.

For me, this means conducting my professional life with integrity. Taking care of those around me -- friends, cats and coworkers. Being kind to those who aren't as well off as I am, or don't have the advantages I've been blessed with. Trying to forgive those who piss me off and hurt me. Trying to judge less, not more.

My faith is flexible enough to adapt to divorce and contraception and strides made by the LGBT community. But it's firm in its compassion.

So this couple encapsulates how I feel about Christ this morning. I enjoy their joy. I celebrate their love … as I do every couple who finds romance and support and shelter from this frequently cold world through the love of his/her partner.

I hope I find it again myself some day -- even though, after my hysterectomy, I'll never have a child with whoever he is and I have no intention of ever getting married. I believe Christ would be very happy for me, were that to happen.





*After "living in sin" for decades, they "made their union official by giving into pressure from their elderly grandchildren."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.