Saturday, May 02, 2015
Saturday 9: Careless Whisper
1) You can't miss George Michael's gold hoops in the photo above or in the "Careless Whisper" video. Are you wearing any jewelry right now? Not at this very moment. I just took off my earrings because as soon as I'm done with this meme, I'm getting in the shower.
2) Though the label says this hit is performed by "Wham! featuring George Michael," George Michael is the only member of the pop duo who appears in the video. Do you remember the name of the other guy who was in Wham? Andrew Ridgely. Don't these two look gloriously 80s? Can't you imagine the Ewings and the Carringtons dancing around their massive manses to "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go?"
3) Much of the video was filmed on Watson Island, a man-made island near South Beach. Have you ever been to Miami? I've changed planes there several times while headed to Key West. It's not the easiest airport to navigate. Beyond the airport, I haven't seen Miami in decades.
4) Born Georgios Panayiotou, George Michael is of Greek descent, the son of the Greek restauranteur in East London. When you think of Greek cuisine, what comes to mind? Lamb.
5) Today he lives in a tony suburb called Highgate, and his neighbors are Kate Moss and Sting. Tell us about one of your neighbors. Pedro lives next door. He's very tall, very good looking, and about 25 years old. Pedro's father made the down payment on the condo (I know because Dad told me so himself when they were remodeling the place). When Pedro brags about his "small mortgage," which he does at condo board meetings, he neglects to mention why. He seems to take his privilege for granted.
This annoys me greatly, because Pedro wants us to raise our condo association fees as much 15%. Our building isn't home to Sting or Kate Moss. We do have working moms, retirees, people who work retail for minimum wage. Pedro should walk the halls and get to know more of us, and see for himself what a hardship an overnight 15% increase would be.
6) George Michael fans can purchase officially licensed merchandise from his website, including an iPhone cover with his photo and signature. Tell us about your cell phone. Is it Apple or Android? Is it a smartphone? LG, Android and not smart.
7) George Michael sang Stevie Wonder's "You and I" for Prince William's wedding to Kate Middleton. What's your favorite love song? It changes. I'm very into Sinatra these days so I'll go with "I've Got You Under My Skin." Frank and Cole Porter made a very potent team.
"I would sacrifice anything, come what might, for the sake of having you near/in spite of a warning voice that comes in the night and repeats, how it yells, in my ear ..."
BTW, I'm so happy that William and Kate had a healthy baby girl.
8) In 2014, George had a health scare. He was rushed to the hospital for tests and released the next day. Have you ever ridden in an ambulance? Nope. I don't really want to, either.
9) Known for hard partying in his youth, George is now in his 50s and says he's quite happy to spend his evenings eating takeout and watching DVDs. Are you doing any socializing this weekend? I'm feeling very George Michael this weekend. If I don't speak to anyone, I won't be unhappy. I really need to recharge my battery.