Thursday, December 18, 2014

The allure of the 1860s

It started last summer when I was housebound with a cold. That's when I rediscovered Bonanza, which has become an ongoing obsession. Partly because it brings back childhood memories, partly because as an adult I realize why it was so crazy popular back in the 1960s: it's filled with attractive men in tight pants. The Cartwrights were so freaking capable. They're always fixing wheels and wagons and windows and fences and protecting people and property and just forever standing firm on the side of right.

It continued with my autumn viewing of Gone with the Wind on the big screen. The clothes! The hair! The romance! This inspired me to immerse myself in the 1860s when I began working on my Nanowrimo novel.

Now I don't want to come back to the 21th century. I like imagining myself celebrating the holidays in Nevada, ca 1865. I choose Nevada because it really wasn't involved in the Civil War, and I don't want that brutal conflict to mar my fantasy.*

Authentic greetings of the season

I want to ride my horse through the snow. I want to go Christmas shopping up and down mainstreet and put my parcels in the back of the buggy. I want to wear a cloak, not a coat. I want to enter rooms through swinging saloon doors and warm myself in front of the fireplace or the coal burning stove. I want to go to church on Christmas morning in a one-horse open sleigh.

This is where my head is, and this is where it's staying.


*Yes, I know that if I were to be realistic, I'd have to be worried about battle with the Shoshone and Paiute Indian tribes. But I don't want to be realistic. I'm enjoying my fantasy.

5 comments:

  1. yes...you are a dreamer! I love it.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. THis is a weird coincedence, but my dad and I just discovered Bonanza this past week! It was totally new to me, but my dad grew up watching it. I like it! It is not as good as Gunsmoke though... a little too goofy. But still a good show! You should try watching Gunsmoke this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen Gunsmoke, but I understand the appeal of a simpler time. A sleigh ride while bundled up in a fur blanket, velvet cloak and rabbit fur muff sounds amazing. Be careful when you sit down in your hoop skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all a matter of taste, I suppose, but Gunsmoke isn't worth watching if you're looking for eye candy (and I am).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the romance!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.