Saturday, September 24, 2011

Why?

Every time I see a story about Michael Jackson these days, it includes him rehearsing "They Don't Care about Us" for his This Is It stage show. That's how he spent his last professional hours, marching about in military precision with his band of dancers. It leaves me skeeved out. Have you ever listened to the words to this opus?

Jew me, sue me
Everybody do me
Kick me, kike me
Don't you black or white me

It makes it hard for me to listen him to praised for his love of his fellow man and his sensitivity and compassion.

"They Don't Care about Us" was not a massive hit. He could have done those This Is It shows without including it. He wanted to do it. And he could have performed this song without the offensive quasi-military choreography. He chose to do it.

I grew up on Michael Jackson. The way his life ended makes me sad. And so does his affection for a song with anti-Semitic lyrics.

A more famous lyric goes, "Be careful who you love." I'd like to amend that to, "Be careful who you idolize."

1 comment:

  1. I don't know this song, at all. And I guess I'm glad I don't.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.