Saturday, September 24, 2011

Annoyed!

Today I dropped off a bag of canned soups and beans and fruits at the food pantry. It was worth about $15 and was as heavy as I'm comfortable carrying, post-op. After I turned the corner, I was approached by a very aggressive man who kept walking backwards in front of me, pointing at my headphones to get me to remove them. He asked me if I knew about the church that housed the food pantry.

"Yes," said I, trying to keep walking. "They are right there, around the corner, and they are still open if you are in need of assistance."

He explained that they "only" give out canned goods and he needed a sandwich. And bus fare.

I did something I never do -- I stopped on the street and opened my purse. I don't think it's a safe practice, but what the hell. I am trying to approach the world with a more thankful heart, to be sincere and joyous as I give back, showing my gratitude to God that my organs were clean and cancer free. And wasn't the point of today's jaunt to help those who are hungry?

As I was pulling a single out of my wallet, he told me he needed, "$7 or $8."

I admit it -- my first impulse was to respond that he was a greedy SOB. I swallowed my anger and I gave him the dollar and said, "good luck."

But I am still annoyed. He WAS greedy and he DID aggressively invade my personal space.

I gave to him today. But, unlike the groceries handed off at the food pantry, it was not done with a thankful heart.

2 comments:

  1. That aggressiveness and entitlement really annoys me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:54 PM

    I always feel bad for people in that situation, but I've always been taught not to give money. I only did that once, because the woman really intimidated me.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.