Sunday, March 07, 2010

I miss her


Strange, isn't it? I'm watching The Queen, starring Helen Mirren in her Oscar-winning turn as Elizabeth, yet it was clips of Diana that captured my attention. And made me sad for her, yet again.

I wish she was still with us. I'd like to think that she would finally be happy, finally reconciled to Charles and Camilla, finally making the most of her estimable gifts to move people. Maybe she'd be remarried, maybe she'd have the daughter she always wanted. Look at her ... wouldn't it be neat to think of her as the mother of the groom, playing a role in William's public and private lives?

It's no secret to anyone to who reads this blog that JBKO is my all-time heroine: a woman who lived an extraordinary life in her own way. While you can't examine Jackie's life without acknowledging the tragedies, the whole of her life strikes me as anything but tragic.

But Diana, poor Diana ... I'm so sorry she's gone and so sorry she never found lasting happiness. And, because of the public nature of her life, I'm sorry I didn't get to see it.

2 comments:

  1. We were doing an activity for Women's History Month and I mentioned Diana... it's been too long and these kids don't remember her story or all her contributions to our world. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not much of a fan of the British royal family(and never quite got all the fascination with Diana..sorry), but have to say I can clearly remember the shock I felt when I went out to fetch the Sunday(or was it a Saturday?)paper that morning , 13(!?) years ago. And, after reading your blog , I now feel like yes, she was cheated and too bad she didn't stick around long enough to feel happiness and contentment in her life.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.