Monday, September 14, 2009

Movie Monday


ON LOCATION -- Share movies set in your part of the world and then link back here at The Bumbles.

The Break Up. Vaughniston's sad valentine to love gone wrong. Since they meet at Wrigley Field, and he's a tour guide, there are many great shots of Chicago, the best city in the world.

The Blues Brothers. The quintessential Chicago movie, starring our gone-but-not-forgotten most-favorite favorite son, John Belushi.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If Belushi is our favorite son, then John Hughes is our cinematic poet laureate. This movie perfectly captures the greatest temptation of my boring suburban high school years -- sit through another boring day at school or have an adventure in that nearby and so glorious city on the Lake?

My Best Friend's Wedding. Union Station and The Chicago River look so lovely (remember when they dance to "The Way You Look Tonight?). Plus, a friend of mine is an extra and you can see her very clearly in the scene where Julia Roberts catches the bouquet.

Back Draft. Maybe it's not a great movie, but much of it was filmed in the office building on Wells Street where I worked at the time. I stole chips from the caterer. I felt entitled since our building only had two elevators, and we were inconvenienced because "Mr. De Niro" refused to ride with any of us and commandeered one, so I either had to wait for the other elevator or take the stairs. (Fortunately it wasn't a high rise.)

7 comments:

  1. I thought this topic was very interesting. It's fun to find out where some of the movies have been filmed. I love Feris Bueller, My Best Friend's Wedding and I even liked Back Draft. That's cool they filmed portions of it right where you worked. If you want to wander down my road I’m home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved all of these except "The Breakup" -- I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes of it. One of my favorite Chicago-set movies is "While You Were Sleeping."

    My list is HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great titles. I'm surprised you didn't include The Untouchables.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first list I've seen today that I've seen all the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Ferris Bueller and The Blues Brothers! They were in my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to be inconvenienced by Bobby. I always felt he became more human to me when he started doing comedy like Midnight Run and Meet The Parents.

    Ferris was just on TV over the weekend late night on Friday. Hadn't seen it in years. Stumbled upon the Froman scene and got all sentimental for high school. Then I came to my senses and went to bed!

    Did you know Belushi's grave is on Martha's Vineyard. Have been there and spent a moment thanking him for the Blues Brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are some great Chicago movies. Love them! I tried to find some Providence-based ones, to no avail.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.