Sunday, October 05, 2008

This wasn't the year



Right now, at this very moment, being a Cub fan hurts like hell. It's hard to watch the team with the best record in the NL not hit, not field, and pitch badly.

But this was a terrific season. I love Lou. I learned how to pronounce "Kosuke Fukudome." I watched Geovany Soto decisively take over the catcher's role. I saw Reed Johnson make the catch of the year. And we were the Division Champions for the second year in a row. That was certainly very cool. As Fred Astaire sang, "They can't take that away from me."

As for the World Series … Maybe next year.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:24 AM

    And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
    But there is no joy in Chicago - the mighty Cubbies have struck out. (Thank you Ernest L. Thayer)

    Oh what a sad, sad day for the Cubs fans. I suppose the White Sox fans are hoping they don't meet the same fate. However, I have a feeling...

    So now, will you switch to the Dodgers for the Series? Wouldn't you like to see "your hero" end his pitching career with a big W ?

    And like you said, "There's always next year." (*sniff sniff*) Snowbird

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Mme. Snowbird, you know me so well! Dodger blue is very close to Cubbie blue, and my beloved future Hall of Famer Greg Maddux is even closer to my heart, and I would find some comfort in knowing that we were beaten by the best.

    Thanks for thinking of me. It's embarrassing how much this can still hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a member of Red Sox Nation, I feel your pain.

    :-(

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.