Friday, August 15, 2008

I Love Greg Maddux


Padres vs. Phillies: Since the outcome of this game will have no impact on the Cubs, normally I wouldn't even have it on. But it's my beloved, future Hall of Famer Greg Maddux and the San Diego Padres battling Jamie Moyer and the Phillies. These two pitchers both began their long, successful careers as Cubs in 1986. My team has the dubious distinction of having traded the inimitable Greg Maddux away twice. Oh, break my heart!

Since I may be watching the end of this baseball legend's career, it's time to review all the reasons why I love him:

His single-minded focus has gotten him into the All Star Game 8 times, 4 Cy Young Awards, a record 17 Gold Glove Awards, and six MVP Awards.

He has the face of a Precious Moments doll, but the body of the Pillsbury Doughboy. I love him for this because it means NO STEROIDS. Unlike Roger Cheater McCheaty Pants Clemens, who he simply must surpass on the all time win list before he retires. (As I write this, Greg Maddux is 9th, one game behind that prima donna fart Clemens.)

He's not just a pitcher, he's an all-around ball player. He covers first base better than any other pitcher I can think of, and he's a decent hitter and base runner, too.

He's still married to Wife #1, Kathy, his high school sweetheart. They have two children, Amanda and Chase. When it looked like his career with the Cubs was ending in 2006, he brought Chase out to play catch ON Wrigley Field. I loved that he shared what Wrigley Field meant to his career, and to major league baseball, with his boy.

For years when he pitched, he wore a Mickey Mouse watch, a gift from Amanda.

He raises money through The Greg and Kathy Maddux Foundation and then donates it to charities that help kids and victims of domestic violence. He also donates Padres tickets to children's groups.

His demeanor on the mound is always the same. Whether he is up or down, he is concentrating on the next pitch, the next batter. He appears imperturbable, oblivous to the crowd. He's just gloriously into the game.

He is always modest in interviews. When he wins, it's because of the good fielders behind him. It's never about him, it's about the team. Etc., etc. There's an edge to it, though. When he speaks softly into the mic, I can almost hear Tim Matheson from Animal House, insincerely pumping pledges' hands and saying, "I'm Eric Stratton, damn glad to meet you."

He respects his parents. I heard this from the Atlanta limo driver who took me to the airport this past spring. He performed the same service years ago for Ma and Pa Maddux, and was impressed that Son Greg brought the bags out to the car himself. (I am ready to discuss Greg Maddux with anyone at any time in any situation.)

Is he perfect? No. All vulgar Cubs locker room stories I've heard over the years involve Greg Maddux. He explains this by saying that, with the exception of a high school stint flipping burgers at Wendy's, all of his professional life has been spent in baseball locker rooms. And he simply cannot hold a runner on base. I hate it when rookies steal off him. (Perhaps more than he does.)

When he retires, he will take a piece of this old Gal's heart with him. I know that when he goes into the Hall of Fame, it will be as an Atlanta Brave. But Greg Maddux will always, ALWAYS be my all-time favorite Cub.

2 comments:

  1. My hope, Maddux leaves after the seventh inning with a 1-0 lead and then Hoffman blows it for the Pads

    ReplyDelete
  2. He gave up one run. ONE LOUSY RUN!!!! And somehow he still managed to lose. Life, and baseball, can be so cruel.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.