Thursday, July 24, 2008

Watching the Cub game, thinking about the divine

Carlos Zambrano is pitching tonight. As he leaves the mound, he often removes his cap and points heavenward, thanking his Lord for the help he believes he received. This makes me very uncomfortable.

As a Christian, I most likely pray to the same Lord as Carlos. I believe that Christ strengthens me, enabling me to accomplish what goes well and prevail over what doesn't. My faith is simple: "Jesus loves me. This I know, for the Bible tells me so." I strive to be the woman He expects me to be, and am comforted in knowing He loves me when I fall short.

But my relationship with Jesus is a private one, the most personal one I will ever have. I can't imagine making a display of my faith my praying in front of 41,000+. What goes on between Jesus and me is ours alone.

I do not doubt Carlos Zambrano's sincerity. And I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that he is very open about his faith because he's Carlos Zambrano -- I don't believe he knows how to be discreet.

I guess I just wish his displays didn't make me feel so … ooky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.