Thursday, July 24, 2008

It did my old heart good

Europeans waving American flags instead of burning them, cheering and chanting "Yes We Can" in accented English. Watching today's Obama speech in Berlin was thrilling. I was so happy to see my country viewed as a symbol of hope, as a world leader. Not as a torture state, nor a gas guzzling superpower with unfortunate cowboy impulses. Thousands upon thousands showed up to cheer and celebrate. (And yes, boo a little when Obama talked about Afghanistan, but I choose to accentuate the positive.) How could you not love this?

Yes, I have problems with Barack Obama. (FISA, anyone?) But as a United States citizen who loves her country, it was nice to see evidence the rest of the world is willing to love us again, too.

5 comments:

  1. Truth be told, I thought it was flat-out bizarre that 200,000 people would turn out for a politician. An American politician no less who may not even become the president! I could think of--well hell, just about anything would be more fun than that. People are so weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right, Lodo. People are weird! Like those bizarre people who look up days-old posts on complete strangers' blogs and leave posts about how they disagree with the blogger. With all the education and entertainment out there in cyberspace, I could think of -- well, hell, just about anything would be more fun than the way you just wasted your time here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think there was anything in regards to my comment that disagreed w/ your post. Just think its strange that 200,000 Europeans would come out to listen to a speech by an American politician who wasn't even our president. A European politician visiting America--any European politician would be lucky to draw 20 Americans. Jeez--sorry Gal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.