Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #69 -- Just in time for summer reading! 13 REALLY popular authors


THIRTEEN OF THE MOST PROLIFIC
WRITERS
TO APPEAR
ON THE NY TIMES BEST-SELLER LIST


I love statistics. You can slice them and dice them a million ways until you come up with something new.

Take, for example, the New York Times Best-Seller List.

It exists to tell us which books are being purchased in the biggest numbers. But it can give us more than that. Which book sold the most? Which book sold a lot the longest? Or, as in today's TT, which is …

Authors who have had the most titles on
the New York Times Best-Seller List/Fiction


1. Stephen King (29 different books)

2. Danielle Steel (27)

3. James Patterson (23)

4. John Grishan (17)

5. Mary Higgins Clark (14)
5. Patricia Cornwell (14)

6. Tom Clancy (12)

7. Janet Evanovich (11)

8. Dean R. Koontz (10)

9. James Michener (9)

10. Sue Grafton (8)
10. Sidney Sheldon (8)
10. James Patterson (8)

11. Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins (7)
11. Robert Ludlum (7)
11. Daphne du Maurier (7)
11. John LeCarre (7)
11. J. K. Rowling (7)

12. Nora Roberts (6)

13. Michael Crichton (5)
13. Nicholas Sparks (5)

Thanks to Hawes for doing most of the heavy lifting for me.

Include your link in comments and I'll add you here:
1. Tink has a slideshow of the beautiful figurines in her home
2. Lost Hemisphere shares broken cards that nobody has broken yet
3. Hootin' Ani gives her topical take on the Domino Effect
4. Anthony North explains reality. Really!
5. Malcolm looks at books, too, but the non-fiction variety
6. Sue answers 13 questions
7. Michelle's TT includes a picture of David Cassidy looking dreamy
8. Chelle takes us back to the 1980s
9. Fishingaround has quite the TBR pile!
10. Gypsy Princess has a thrifty TT
11. Sandy shares a prayer
12. Janet's TT has a certain "flair"
13. Shaunesay talks books, too
14. Journeywoman has a movie TT, and I love movie TTs
15. Susan Helene Gottfried anticipates summer
16. Lori helps kickstart our social lives
17. Faith takes us around Fort Worth
18. Claudia's TT is delicious, and smells good, too
19. SJ Reidhead manages our expectations for her TT
20. Alice Audrey tempts us to read Suzie's House
21. Winter confronts evil
22. Gray Matters has done a LOT of work around the house!
23. Maribeth's TT has a decidedly orange cast to it this week
24. B Boys Mom has an ambitious to-do list
25. Adelle gives Canadians their props
26. Marcia's TT is outdoorsy
27. Mo's TT is devoted to "the hounds"
28. Debbie shares 13 quotes

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



34 comments:

  1. I think I've read at least one book of all of the authors. Stephen King and Sue Grafton are my faves from your list.
    My TT is about deity statues/figurines in my home.
    Happy Thursday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. #s 4 and 9 are two of my favorites from the list.

    My T 13 is shared, stop by, won't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not surprised King is at the top of the list. Of all the writers about today, I think he is one of the few who will be read in a couple of hundred years.
    His stories are timeless, yet he manages to define the American age. Vital ingredients for a writer's longevity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figured that Stephen King would be numero uno. I was a bit surprised that authors like Agatha Christie and Judith Krantz didn't make the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All great, but my faves would be #1 and #8 :) Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list. I read books by many of these authors but Koontz is my favorite. Happy TT

    http://mycrazylifewithatoddler.blogspot.com/2008/05/thursday-13-my-favorite-shows-from-70s.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are some really good authors on your list.

    http://www.chelleyoung.com/index.php/archive/thursday-thirteen-111-more-favorite-80s-movies/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:30 PM

    I'm currently addicted to Evanovich. However, I'm a little peeved at the romance situation right now (maybe a little too emotionally involved) so I'm not starting number nine for awhile.

    High five to Clark!! I read her through high school and credit her for getting me through. HA. Not really.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:56 PM

    I agree, Terry Prachett is sorely missed on that list! Otherwise fab! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops! Better go find out who No. 7 is so I'll be in the loop. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Stephen King & JK Rowling, of course :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know I've read at least a few of those! I love statistics as well, especially top type lists, they're always fun!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:36 PM

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. No matter how unlikely, I still dream of seeing my name on that list...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list...you forgot John Saul. I love him!! Happy TT my friend. How are you?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've read a lot by those authors, although there are plenty I'd probably add in. I guess they wouldn't be as popular, though, eh? My TT is 13 things to do in Ft. Worth. Happy Thursday!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9:46 PM

    gosh what a list! Amazing. I mean Nora Roberts has written 10x the books that Steven King has written. I wonder what that means... How do you interpret??

    Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't care for any of those, and it sort of depresses me that those are the most-read!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jonathan Kellerman should be on the list - but it is a good list and took some research. Good job.

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo
    http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2008/5/28/3717744.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous1:22 AM

    Wow, Nora only has 6? Meanwhile Rowling's got everything she's published on there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Heh. I dunno why I expected to see Barbara Cartland...

    http://www.sunlightsucks.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. All terrific authors!! I haven't done a TT in ages....so I won't leave my link. But, I really liked your TT! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great list and definitely some great authors.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous8:05 AM

    I love Dean Koontz and Nicholas Sparks. The rest are also some of my top faves.
    Maribeth

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think I have read a book from each author mentioned. I love #7 her book really make my laugh. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great list1 Maybe one day I'll be there lol A girl can dream, can't she? Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am glad to know I have read a good portion of them but -- I still prefer more the classics like Austen
    4. John Grishan (17)

    5. Mary Higgins Clark (14)
    5. Patricia Cornwell (14)


    7. Janet Evanovich (11)





    10. Sue Grafton (8)

    10. James Patterson (8)


    11. Daphne du Maurier (7)

    11. J. K. Rowling (7)

    12. Nora Roberts (6)

    13. Nicholas Sparks (5)

    ReplyDelete
  28. And, between the mister and myself,we've done our fair share to boost sales for the majority of them all! LoL

    Great TT; have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Grisham is one of my favorites. LaHaye and Jenkins "Left Behind" series is awesome.

    Nice list idea, I enjoyed visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey I have read all of them!! Some I love, some I like and some, eh, so-so.

    Stephen King's book The Stand remains among my favorite all time books, have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've read a lot of those authors, but I must say I was surprised to see Nora Roberts so low on the list. I thought she topped Danielle Steele by now :)

    Go to http://sixdegreesofsexy.blogspot.com
    for our Pirate TT

    ReplyDelete
  32. Prolific writers amaze me. WHERE do they find the time? I have a lot to say, but never the time to write for as long as I'd like.

    My T13 is up, too. Visit if you get a chance. 13 Songs in Heavy Rotation on my iPod

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've read books by many of those authors. Nicholas Sparks is my absolute favorite. If I ever need a good cry I know he is the author to go to!

    Our Happy Happenings

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.