Wednesday, December 12, 2007

THURSDAY THIRTEEN #45 -- Caring for Critters over Christmas


13 WAYS TO KEEP PETS SAFE THIS HOLIDAY SEASON


“The Gal worries.” It’s a phrase coined by my best friend and embraced by many in my life. Because if I’m awake, I’m worrying. And there is no time of year more worrisome than Christmas. I worry about neglected soldiers (Operation Shoebox) … and children who won’t get gifts (The Today Show Toy Drive) … And right now, I’m worried about pets. Your pets, my pets, stray pets. Here’s my attempt to make the holidays safer and a little more merry for the four-legged family members everywhere.

1. When it comes to mistletoe, hang it high. If ingested, mistletoe can not only upset a tummy, it might even cause cardiovascular problems.

2. While poinsettias probably aren’t as deadly as once thought, they’re still not good for dogs and cats. They can still cause nausea and diarrhea – which can be hard on both you and your pets.

3. Turkey leftovers are not for pets. They can tend to be greasier than your dog or cat are used to, which can cause indigestion. And poultry bones splinter too easily to be safe.

4. Keep chocolate off limits! It’s not good for cats and positively dangerous for dogs because it contains theobromine.

5. Candy wrappers aren’t any good, either. Aluminum and cellophane can appear irresistible to curious critters (like my bundle of feline energy, Reynaldo), but if swallowed, they can cause tummy troubles and intestinal blockage.

6. Ditto for tinsel.

7. Make sure your tree is securely anchored. This one comes from my mom. One night, when we were all asleep, our beloved family cat Tommy decided the Christmas tree simply needed to be climbed and he toppled it. That’s when she began running a bit of fishing line between the tree and a small hook in the wall. It’s almost invisible, but it does the trick!

8. Pets and tree stands. Every year, dogs all over the country suffer tummy troubles and occasionally even sores in their mouths from lapping up the water at the base of Christmas trees. It happens to cats now and again, too, so all pet owners should be careful.

9. Watch your pets when company arrives and leaves. Those open doors can be awfully tempting. I know, because Reynaldo is always ready to make a run for it. (Fortunately, I live on the fourth floor and until he can figure out how to use the elevator, there’s really nowhere for him to go. Besides, once out in the hall, he just calls me to join him. He seems to want us to run away from home together.)

10. Keep your pet in a quiet place during holiday parties. A lot of guests can mean a lot of stress for your dog or cat. Plus you can’t be sure that every invitee (especially the young ones) knows how to be gentle with your pet. A quiet bedroom is often the perfect place for your pet to spend a party.

11. Be careful in your garage! If you decide to keep your dog or cat in the garage during a party, make sure that it’s warm enough, and that there aren’t antifreeze spills. Antifreeze is positively deadly.

12. Keep an eye on your garbage, too. Ribbons, leftovers, candy wrappers … your trash can be filled with dangerous – but irresistible – stuff this time of year.

13. Be careful when you start your car. There are lots of sad strays out there, looking for warmth. And there are still plenty of cat owners who refuse to see the wisdom of keeping their cats indoors. So to make 100% sure that you don’t hurt a cat when you start your car, hit the hood or honk the horn before you turn the key.

I've also found that  I worry a little less about homeless pets after I make a contribution to my local animal shelter. If you're looking for a shelter that could use your help, visit www.petfinder.com.

Leave your link in the comments and I'll add you here. (I'm doing browser battle with my new laptop and may not be able to leave a comment on your blog, but I'll do my best to include you here. Thanks for your patience.)

1. Holly's in the Christmas spirit and shares it with her TT
2. Sandee has a funny take on The 12 Days of Christmas
3. Lori has some warm and witty tips for dads
4. Candy Minx revisits the 1980s
5. Chelle lists her favorite carols
6. Nicholas has another of his book TTs, as only Nicholas can write them
7. SJ's TT demonstrates how passionate she is about the holidays
8. Ellen b has devoted her TT to Handel's Messiah
9. No Nonsense Girl has a random, wacky TT
10. Malcolm has a musical TT
11. I just loved Greatfullivin's TT
12. Courtney's TT is a list of 13 miracles
13. WorksforMom's TT is so tacky it's delightful
14. Sandy explains a "strange December phenomenon"
15. Jenny McB takes on holiday/life questions, including ch-ch-ch-chia
16. Bookmama has a lovely TT about memorable gifts
17. Susan Helene Gottfried shows us how ShapeShifter got into the charitable spirit of the season
18. Yummy recommends some fascinating sites
19. Shesawriter has the most gorgeous movie TT!
20. Natalie's TT is enjoyably random
21. Damozel has a critter TT, too
22. Xakara owns up to her geek crushes
23. Joy Is My Goal has perhaps the ultimate Christmas TT
24. The Mocha Mom has a factual TT about herself and her family


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!




37 comments:

  1. This is a sweet, but important post. I miss Max. Susiej

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is super important and thank you for taking the time to make this your TT-13 post. Excellent and may help keep someone's pet safe.

    My Edition #7 is up!

    My Thirteen Favorite Christmas Things

    Drop by and I'll return the favor. Let's
    share a nice cup of hot chocolate and some
    great blogs this holiday season!

    Smiles,

    Holly
    http://theabundanceplace.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with your list and very much so on #13. We have cats all over our neighborhood and you really have to be careful. Have a great TT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list...of course the only pet I have still at home is 16, stands 6'1, and weighs 240 pounds...any suggestions??? lol...Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant helpful hint. I forget about how crazy holidays are for pets.

    One time I was dating this goth guy whoowned a nightclub...and I must have wanted to impress him because I looked after his tow dogs while hewent to Israel for Chaunukah...meanwhile the dogs went crazy at my place. They ate my Chaunukah candles...I came home from work one day and they had not only knocked over my xmas tree but dragged it from living room down long hallway into kitchen and chewed off decorations!!!

    I figured I would have a huge vet bill...if they lived through the digested decorations.

    Hey we are early birds this week with our TT list huh?

    Here is mine...

    http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/2007/12/80s-life-good-bad-and-queen.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, my silly kitty already climbed our tree. Now, she just sleeps under it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good advice. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to add that you shouldn't let your toy poodle eat Christmas Lights! Yep, been there and done that. Had to pry the stuff out of his little mouth.

    The Pink Flamingo
    http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2007/12/12/3406557.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I can tell you are a very caring pet owner. Happy TT to you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's soo important to remember!!!! Critters are very important to remember!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are some extremely helpful tips for all the pet owners out there. If Reynaldo ever learns how to operate an elevator... watch out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very thoughtful tips. I have "adopted" some stray cats. I feed them outdoors.They sleep in our woodshed and I always worry about them getting under the hood of the car, I would have never thought to blow the horn before starting, Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6:56 PM

    I had a Cocker Spaniel that devoured two large chocolate bars without incident. Not that I recommend it, she was just a special dog in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tips. Especially putting your pet in a quiet place during parties. My dog gets so upset with loud nosies.

    http://amomspeaks.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope that new laptop is da bomb! Great list. I love my furballs, and this was great info!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great list. We were always great tinsel users--a real bummer that our dog survived though now without some serious vomiting. It wasn't worth it.
    Writing in Faith

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am really nervous about the Christmas tree and the kittens. I wanted it on the three season porch, but my husband thought not...at least we are going to get it away from a leaping point this year and will try the fishing line.

    Helpful list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tips, Gal!
    I've posted my TT - Best Christmas Presents Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, thanks for the reminder! I have to call the pet sitter; I'd meant to do that today.

    Have a great TT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous10:09 PM

    Our Christmas is pretty small, its not much different from any other day for our pets.

    They do get some turkey though...but never the bones.

    (my tt is at http://yummydown.com)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great advice!

    My T13 post is up, come check it out if you get a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so right. We keep ours indoors, so some of these aren't issues, but I have one cat who dedicates his life to tracking down cellophane bags to lick (and chew) and another who has learned to open locked doors.

    Thanks for this. The Flatland Almanack --Damozel It's about animals this week. Cute ones.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They sound like useful tips, luckily I don't have any pets so I'm out of the trouble... my teddy bears love the Christmas season and are staying save :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous5:45 AM

    This is a good list and timely for those who will be giving and getting pet this holiday season and so aren't prepared without a prompt like this.

    Thanks.

    ~Xakara

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is such a great and useful list!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. good advice for the pets owners and visitors

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very good list, my tt is up too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I never thought about pet safety! Probably because I don't have a pet, but others should think of those things!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fabulous post - thanks for raising these important issues. Happy TT!

    My TT can be seen at Siani's Pot-Pourri.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very thoughtful and timely post.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is such an important TT list and such a great reminder for pet owners during busy holiday time!

    ReplyDelete
  32. We got our sweet kitty because of #13. He was a wee kit and crawled up into the hood of our friend's car for warmth. They drove to church, thinking all the while that something weird was going on with the engine and it was Aragorn howling his head off. Poor baby, he's still afraid of cars.

    Nice TT!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great post. I don't have to worry about it since I don't have pets, but I will remember it if I go to someone's house who does.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Strange how we keep all this stuff around because of tradition, even tho it's dangerous :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for posting this; it's a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Number 6. Hubby had to pull some out of Cubby's butt a couple years back. Since that I'm much more careful to throw out the junk from gift bags.

    My TT:

    http://tinakubala.com/2007/12/13/thirteen-tina-recommended-newberry-award-winners.aspx

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.