Saturday, April 21, 2007

Happy happy, joy joy

Whoa! This blog has been so heavy lately! Virginia Tech, JFK … even the Cubs.* So it's time to celebrate.

Specifically, it's time to celebrate Mother's Day.

Both of my nieces are graduating soon. One grade school, one high school. My mother has been a little blue because she won't be able to get the girls anything really special or memorable because she is so broke. She has mentioned this often, yet Mother's Day is not even on her emotional radar.

You can't be a grandmother unless you were first a mother, therefore I thought it was appropriate to celebrate her generous grandmotherly impulses with an early Mother's Day gift. I got her an American Express gift card and told her to "go forth and grandmother the graduates."

It made her soooo happy! She left messages for me at home and at work and she sounded so cute. And I sensed a little relief in her voice, too.

It really took very little effort on my part, but it brought her such joy. I'm so glad I did it.

*Still I haven't given up on them. The losses have been close, not blow outs. I believe they will hit their stride soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.