Saturday, November 11, 2006

She really was that good

I'm watching The Wizard of Oz. Again. And this time I am amazed by how perfect Judy was. I know … duh! But tonight I am keenly aware that this dreamy, brave and utterly sincere little girl is being played by a teenager. Teens are by their very nature cynical, sarcastic, and just plain smart-assy. There is none of that in her purely lovely performance. Dorothy is talking to a scarecrow and a tin woodsman about finding a wizard. (We have yet to meet The Lion.) She is not at all self conscious and completely credible. I wonder how, especially with her tumultuous personal life, Garland was able to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.