Saturday, July 06, 2019

Saturday 9

America, the Beautiful  

Unfamiliar with Frank Sinatra's 1945 version of this song? Hear it here.

1) In 2016, a group recommended that this week's song replace "The Star Spangled Banner" as our national anthem. They maintain it's just as beautiful but easier to sing. How do you feel about this? I'd prefer "America, the Beautiful" because it's about our natural gifts, not war. On the other hand, I understand the value of tradition. So I guess this is one of those issues that I'm firmly on both sides of.

2) Katharine L. Bates said her lyrics were inspired by a trip to Pike's Peak. What's the most beautiful American spot you've ever visited? It's one that I take for granted: Lake Michigan. It's hypnotic, it's awe-inspiring. With all that fresh water, it keeps us alive.



3) The music was written by organist Samuel Augustus Ward. Both Bates and Ward were very formal when signing their names professionally -- she including her middle initial and he with his full middle name. How about you? When you sign checks or documents, do you use your middle name or initial? Yes. Most of my credit cards, my checking account, my mortgage ... they all include my middle initial.

4) In 1945, when this version of the song was recorded, America lost Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Frank Sinatra said, "I lost a hero." What late, great American hero from our past would you like to honor today? Watch this. Really. This was a great man.

 


5) Also in 1945, a 19-year-old "hoofer" waited outside the Los Angeles radio station where Sinatra was being interviewed. That was the beginning of the friendship between Sammy Davis, Jr., and Frank Sinatra. Tell us about your oldest friend. We met in Kindergarten. We Beatle bonded, her falling for George while I staked my claim on The Cute One. She currently lives in California, and I miss her every day.

6) The Fourth of July means we're in the middle of summer. Are you careful about applying sunscreen? Yes

7) Mosquito bites can be a major summer annoyance. Are you scratching any itches right now? Little dry skin related things, but right now, no bug bites.

8) Emergency rooms report an increase in wrist injuries in summer, with people falling off bikes and skateboards and jamming their wrists catching hard-hit softballs. Have you  been to the ER or Urgent Care during 2019? No.

9) New York is home to Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest every year on the 4th. Will hot dogs be consumed in your household this weekend? Yesterday I had a hotdog and chips in cafe at the Chicago History Museum.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, Lake Michigan is beautiful although we most often see it from the Michigan side when we're visiting family in Northern Indiana. I wonder if JFK would recognize his Democratic Party today. We had made plans to visit the Chicago History Museum, on our last visit up there a few weeks ago, but something prevented it. I still hope to see it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you on Lake Michigan...its such a gorgeous lake...I love taking a leisure road trip along the shore all the way up to the UP. Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really special, to have a friend from kindergarten. Something to treasure for sure. I loved the JFK quote. If only . . . ah, but nothing will change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #1 is what I wanted to say. And Lake Michigan/Chicago is bucket list territory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to have a friend since kindergarten. I recently was able to track down a friend from elementary school through Facebook. Would love to find more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live close to a lake and the beauty of water never gets old to me, I just love it. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen a lot of Lake Erie, but I need to get out and see the rest of the lakes one day. Your Chicago skyline is beautiful...like Pittsburgh's. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.