Sunday, August 12, 2018

My Day in Dekalb

Dekalb has an old-school confectionary
I spent Friday afternoon and evening in Dekalb, IL. It's a city 65 miles from Chicago, and home to Northern Illinois University. My friend Kathy moved out there last spring.

It's a long train ride away from Chicago, but it was an easy commute. You get on in the city where the line starts and sit there all the way to the end. Fortunately, I had a good book.

Got out there around 3:00 PM. Kathy proudly showed off her apartment. It's spacious -- the entire upstairs of an old house. She has an eat-in kitchen with a pantry, a bedroom with a walk-in closet and a den. Her rent is less than $1000/month, so it fits in her Social Security budget. Her granddaughter lives nearby, which helps keep her busy and connected.

She bought me a beer at a local bar where she knew I could watch the end of the Cub game. Then we went to her favorite candy store, the local library, and The Egyptian Theater. What a great old building that is! It's both architecturally and historically significant.

The Egyptian began in 1929 as an art deco movie palace. It's said to be haunted. Acts from Journey to comedian Lewis Black have performed there. And, in 1959, Massachusetts Senator John F. Kennedy addressed The Cold War from The Egyptian. Today, it's on the National Registry of Historic Places.
Isn't he impressive?
Then we had a nice Thai dinner and I got back on the train and headed back to civilization.

It was a nice visit. We got along well. I deflected any questions about John's health or anything too personal about his life. The Gal-John-Kathy "triangle" is tiresome. Part of why we got along so well is that I avoided that pitfall.

I was happy to support Kathy in this new, retired stage in her life. It meant a great deal to her that I made the trip, and you know what? It was really a rather small thing to do. 8 hours and $50. I should be more thoughtful about similar supportive things I can do for my friends.

It also made me feel a little better about my own retirement. A bit more peaceful about my own finances. When the time comes, I could live like Kathy. I told her that, and it seemed to please her.



1 comment:

  1. I love stories like the Egyptian--the hauntings must be cool and not too scary!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.