Saturday, August 08, 2009

Past #60 by 9:30 AM

The local food pantry is open from 9 til noon on Saturdays. Whenever I accumulate a bag of nonperishables -- it usually takes about a month -- I walk it over there.

There were more people there this morning than last month. In fact, there were more waiting than I remember ever seeing. Volunteers were passing out plastic numbers to those who were waiting. They were already past #60 and it wasn't even 9:30 yet!

I donated tuna, spaghettios, pork and beans and cookies, as well as toilet paper and toothpaste. Everything I purchased was on sale and I didn't spend more than $1 for any individual item, so picking these things up didn't really have much of an impact on my budget. I encourage you to do the same. The ongoing Recession makes it more important than ever for us to stand by our neighbors.

I discovered this food pantry because my church supports it. If you don't know where your neighborhood food pantry is, your can refer to the locator at Feeding America.

1 comment:

  1. We do food drives at school and students usually earn community service requirement hours at the food pantry. Quite an eye opener.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.