Saturday, August 08, 2009

Eunice Kennedy Shriver hospitalized

According to CNN.com, she's in "critical but stable condition." Her family is by her side.

I can't get over the fact that she's 88! Since she and JFK were close, she appears prominently in many biographies of him, and so in my mind she's kind of frozen in her 40s. This is how I think of her, in 1963, when she accompanied her brother, President Kennedy, to Ireland. Eunice is visible over the President's shoulder. (The woman in the print dress with her back to the camera is a proud Kennedy cousin who lived in Ireland. President Kennedy promised the crowds in Ireland that he would return in Spring. Sadly he didn't live to do that.)

Mrs. Shriver's also the founder and remains the chairwoman of The Special Olympics, "which helps 3 million people with intellectual disabilities in nearly 200 countries around the world." And she's Arnold Schwarzenegger's mother-in-law -- which, I imagine, is a job in itself.

At the age of 88, any illness is serious. I hope that she's comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.