Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Heads or Tails #23 -- Any Tom, Dick or Harry

This week's HoT topic is "Edge: Any Past Theme." Since 7 is my lucky number, I went to the list of past themes and chose theme #7, "Any Tom, Dick or Harry." With apologies to anyone named Harry, I am devoting this post to the first Tom and Dick that came to mind -- the forever-funny Smothers Brothers.

I literally grew up on the Brothers Smothers. In grade school, our music teacher introduced us to folk music through their albums. "Boil the Cabbage Down" was my favorite, because when Dick ended a solo but calling, "Take it, Tom," Brother Tom said, deadpan, "No," and the number comes to a screeching halt and a sibling snit ensued. (This bit still pops into my mind whenever I see musicians jamming and one calls out, "Take it!") I also remember the refrain of "Marching to Pretoria" (Pre-tor-i-a, Hurrah!) because of the Smothers Brothers Days in music class.

Then there was their TV show in the late 1960s. I watched it obsessively because anything that annoyed my father this much had to be good. (He called them the Smut Brothers.) I know the show was known for it's controversial politics, but that's not what I recall. The Smothers Brothers showcased some of the most important musicians in the world (at least in my little world) -- like the Beatles and Nancy Sinatra (whose boots were made for walking). Most of all, I remember laughing at tough-guy, deadpan cop, Office Judy, created by Bob Einstein.* A young comic named Steve Martin got his start as a writer and bit player on the old Smothers Brothers show.

So thank you, Tom and Dick, for all the laughter and joy … and so deftly introducing me to traditional music. Mom may have always liked Dick best, but Tom is the one who really cracked me up.

To play along with Heads or Tails, click here.

*Bob Einstein -- Albert Brooks' brother -- went on to create stuntman Super Dave Osbourne.

8 comments:

  1. I too wrote about them for that theme I think. I loved watching the Smother's Brothers and was devastated when they went off the airwaves for good.

    My favorite was the Yo Yo Man!!!

    Happy H o T day, My Heads or Tails is posted, hope you can come join me today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adored that duo and occasionally hit the YouTube scene to find another couple of minutes. Laughing is a good cure for darned near everything. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great take on the theme! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Smothers Brothers were a staple in my household too and I loved Nancy Sinatra. I have her "Boots" album with the hot picture in the striped leggings. Good memories....Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:09 PM

    Snowbird here.

    Yeah, well, Mom always liked you best!!! One of my very very favorite SB "acts".

    I also liked the "Have a little tea with Goldie" skits.

    Wish I still had the records.

    I was not at all impressed with Bruce's half-time show. Perhaps I am too old to appreciate him (altho our guests, who are my age, thought it was wonderful). I was surprised with all of the positive comments.

    However......since you spoke so highly of Tom and Dick.....you have been redeemed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Smothers Brothers were way ahead of their time, but their comedy still works today.

    Every once in a while I listen to Marching To Pretoria and it cracks me up every time!

    "They're whistling cuz they don't know the words."

    "If you see a kid whistling, smack him down!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. i too grew up with them and this was a nice post down memory lane!
    Tom was my fav too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to sneak out of bed to watch their show. They were a hoot.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.