Tuesday, February 03, 2009

"I Challenge You"

That's how my across-the-hall neighbor boldly began the page on her notepad. I sat right behind her on the el this morning, but she was so preoccupied with her own thoughts that she didn't even notice me. She continued scribbling through most the ride downtown, but I can't tell you what else she wrote.

Not because I respect her privacy, mind you. Because her handwriting is too small to read from any distance.

Her husband's college-age son from a previous marriage is staying with them at least until summer -- I wonder if this has anything to do with him. She thought she might enjoy learning about wine by waiting tables in a new neighborhood restaurant known for their wine list, but her husband discouraged it, saying she has no idea how hard food service really is. Maybe it's about that ...

HEY! What else am I gonna concentrate on? Obama's been inaugurated, Blago is done for the time being, and Cubs training camp doesn't start for weeks! Oh, yeah! Thank God for American Idol!

3 comments:

  1. Hehee.. thank God for Idol, indeed. :) I'm an avid fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:06 PM

    I'm sad that the Blago thing is done. I enjoyed hearing his name entirely too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was part funny, part mysterious. Now I wonder what she was writing. I call my neighbour upstairs "Stompy McFooty".

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.