Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #25 -- 13 women I want to hang with in Heaven


Thirteen women
THE GAL HERSELF
will invite to tea when she gets to Heaven


This TT is inspired by Carly Simon’s song about her late mother, “Like a River,” where she wonders if Mom is enjoying the afterlife, “dancing with Ben Franklin on the face of the moon.” Isn’t that a lovely thought? Instead of waltzing with history’s most famous men on the face of the moon, I’d like to celebrate my arrival in Heaven by having a celestial tea party with some of its most famous women.

My guest list includes First Ladies, writers, movie stars, an aviator and a princess.

1. Jackie Kennedy Onassis. I’d like her to share how she handled all that with her dignity, strength and integrity in tact?

2. Lady Bird Johnson. A woman of means and intellect, she worked tirelessly toward building LBJ’s career. Yet she lived nearly 35 years after his death. What was that like? Her husband was gone, her children were grown, the spotlight had moved on … Was it lonely, or peaceful?

3. Eleanor Roosevelt. She received so much ridicule during her lifetime! She was ugly. She didn’t know her place. Her voice was grating. Yet today she inspires people all over the country – from friends who have her quotes pinned to their office bulletin boards all the way to Hillary Clinton. She even has her own statue at the FDR Memorial. Do the respect and adulation she receives now, posthumously, help assuage the hurts she endured in life?

4. Mary Lincoln. She once said that she did “the wrong things well.” As she’s watched women’s roles change, century by century, does she wish she lived in a later generation? She certainly would have had an easier time. But then she would not have been right there, with her truly great husband, during a critical time in history.

5. Adela Rogers St. John. Reporter and screenwriter, she had a fabulous career that began with William Randolph Hearst, took her into silent films, had her in the pressbox for the Lindbergh kidnapping trial, and ended with an appearance in Reds. She wrote What Price Hollywood, which was remade twice as A Star Is Born. She even covered the assassination of Huey Long. I’d just love to hear her stories.

6. Lillian Hellman. Playwright, screenwriter, essayist, and true rebel. She was the first woman to be nominated for a screenwriting Oscar, gave HUAC what-for, & Dash Hammett used their love affair as his inspiration for Nick and Nora Charles. Her drinking and her fiery temperament made her life difficult but it fueled her writing. I’d just like to thank her for the entertainment that her writings have given me.

7. Louisa May Alcott. She gave us the March sisters, thereby influencing every woman I know. Shouldn’t that have been enough? No, she was a suffragette and the first woman to vote in Concord, MA. She was an abolitionist who hid a slave in her home. All this, and she died at the tender age of 55.

8. Anne George. It would probably amuse this soft-spoken little lady to be included among these firebrands. Ms. George wrote the charming Southern Sisters mystery novels. Her style was engaging and real. She gave us a pair of sixty-something heroines – Mouse and Aunt Sister – who loved their families, their pets, the South, solving crimes … oh, yeah, and one another. (Even though they bickered about a certain Shirley Temple doll at least once per book.) She only wrote 8 of these slim, adorable volumes, and I’d like her to enchant me with just one more Southern Sisters story.

9. Nancy Dickerson. Before Katie Couric, before Barbara Walters, there was Nancy Dickerson. She was the only woman I remember seeing on the news when I was a little girl in the 1960s. I used to look forward to her appearances because she was so rare – like the okapi at our local zoo. She covered Washington for NBC and got real stories, not fluff pieces about food or fashion. What was it like to be one of the first chicks in the boys’ club?

10. Marilyn Monroe. Her celluloid image is joyous, fuzzy and funny. Her personal life has become a tragic cautionary tale. How could one woman embody two such divergent personae? What was she really like? And do Madonna’s and Anna Nicole Smith’s lame imitations annoy her as much as they do me?

11. Katharine Hepburn. One of a kind. Not simply the first, but the only. The Great Kate. I might be too intimidated to speak to her. But that’s OK, I might not have to. She used to joke that she was her favorite subject, that she found herself endlessly fascinating. I – and much of the world – agree.

12. Amelia Earhart. WHAT HAPPENED? Was it an accident, or did you stage it to escape your marriage? Were you a spy? Did you enjoy an idyllic life on an island for decades? (I hope so). C’mon, spill it. It’s OK, it’s just us girls.

13. Princess Diana. I don’t know why she touches me so, she just does. I’d find it comforting to see that she’s happy and at peace. Besides, if I’m going to have tea in Heaven, I want a royal there.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

1. Toni's is 13 of her favorite girls' names
2. Jenny's TT is musical and fragrant and hilarious
3. As fate would have it, Wylie's is about smells, too (but hers is FAR more PC)
4. You won't believe all the uses for peroxide Lori came up with
5. L^2 posted a TT that is positively supernatural
6. The Lady Rose does some Internet research about ... "The Lady Rose"
7. Gattina, who seems to have some doubts about my ascent into Heaven, has 13 completely charming quotes
8. Hootin' Ani's is all about the joys of summer
9. Miss Frou Frou's monumental 100th TT is up!
10. If you're a cat lover (and aren't all the best people cat lovers) then Dorothy's TT is a heart tugger
11. Supina's is a classic TV TT
12. Sue's TT is a riot about the life lessons we get from horror films
13. Gabriella offers a delightfully adult TT
14. Mo's TT is all critter pix (including some extremely charming kittens)
15. Puss Reboots full-color TT is up.
16. Qtpies chronicles a harrowing dental nightmare. Enter if you dare!
17. In Adelle's TT, she channels Maya Angelou



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



23 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:04 PM

    Hey Gal,
    great list -- I wouldn't mind a talk with all the president's wives you have on your list! Lady Bird, Jackie, Mary, Eleanor. That would be some tea party!
    your old pal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your list struck me that most of these women were considered as less than their male partners. I wonder what came fist? The great man or the great woman?

    Can I join your tea party also?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very thought provoking list! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #10, 12, & 13 would be very cool choices. Great list. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great list! I'd have a lot of the same questions for these ladies too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course you can join us, Jenny, but remember, the cover charge is steep. (I mean, you've got to ... um ... die.) Of the 13, two were never married at all, and you can't say that Hepburn, Adela Rogers St. John or Nancy Dickerson were certainly not overshadowed by their men. I think your comment does apply, though, to The First Ladies and Diana.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice list!

    my TT is up
    http://thedietpulpit.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:35 AM

    As #9's son I hope I get to hang with her too. it's nice to see her name on such a lovely list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you sure you really will end up in heaven, lol ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. 13, 11, and 4 would be on my list too!

    Thanks for leaving such a wonderful comment today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. John Dickerson, I'm thrilled you saw my little post! Your mother had a very important impact on me and I'm happy to share with her son. The first news I watched, I watched because of Nancy Dickerson. Maybe it's her fault that I'm a news junkie now! As a little girl, my head would snap up when she appeared on screen. I remember her voice: serious, mature and not at all frivolous. I of course didn't realize it at the time, but she was also a powerful example of a woman in a non-traditional role. I do so look forward to "looking her up."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, great list... imagine trying to talk amongst this lot...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your list of women to talk to in heaven is remarkable. I never would have thought of such a tea party. But now I'd like to join you when you meet these fantastic ladies. Hoorah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful list.
    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely list idea! Definitely Princess Di on my guest list too .. :) Happy TT and thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10:08 AM

    Beautifully described. What a terrific list. I would feel honorede and quite humbled to have tea with any of them.

    And loved your questions to Amelia Earhardt, wouldn't we all love to know.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There are *definately* a few there I wouldn't mind havin' a cuppa with, myself! (I just ADORE the Great Kate!)

    Fabulous list!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fascinating and well written list. Happy TT.1

    ReplyDelete
  19. That does sound like fun! I also would like to hear more from Amelia! I'm very curious about what really happened!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Eleanor Roosevelt is definately on my list. 'Believe in the beauty of your dreams'
    Happy T13!
    http://adellelaudan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd like to meet with Mary, the Mother of Jesus. Great list. Lyn from Bloggin' Outloud

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I'd love to join the party too! Really interesting women.
    My TT is about full moon names this week.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.