Saturday, October 14, 2006

Belated props to the Birthday Boy

October 9 was the anniversary of John Lennon's birth. Perhaps that's why I've been thinking of him so often lately.

Or maybe it's this "shut up and sing" shit I keep reading about Streisand. I think it's amazing that anyone would actually begrudge her using her own stage show to express her opinions. I mean, I just shake my head. She's an interpretive artist and it's her show. Artists have been commenting on our society, tweaking and annoying us, at least since Uncle Tom's Cabin. You don't like what Babs has to say? Change the channel when she appears on your TV and don't go to her show. But saying she shouldn't speak her mind from the stage ... that's downright unpatriotic. What's next? Should authors stop using the pages of their books to express themselves? Directors stop using film?

I also think it's interesting that no one complains when a country western singer performs a song that celebrates the Iraq war. Or when Patricia Heaton does interviews lauding Bush and his policies. Isn't she "just a sitcom actress?" Shouldn't she just "shut up and be funny?" Or when that blonde Mrs. QB is all conservative on The View. Or what is broadcast 24/7 on FOX. I would never complain about any of those things either, because while I disagree with all of them, I think dialog is essential. Everyone should have a voice. Especially artists. We live in a free society, and freedom of self expression is one of our cornerstones.

I realize I think this is good and right and natural and important because I grew up on The Beatles. I'm a Paul Girl. I love him. (No, really. I have loved him since I was 6 years old.) But I always thought John was really neat. Paul has inspired decades and decades of romantic fantasies, but John inspired me to think. One of the first political songs I ever "got" was "Revolution." I agree with John. It's our responsibility to work within the system for change. I've supported candidates with time and money ever since I've been old enough to vote.

"Power to the People," "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)," "Imagine," "Give Peace a Chance." Look what happened when John "shut up and sang," folks. I love thinking of what he'd be doing now, at age 66. I like to think that while their musical styles are different, he'd be touring, too. And like Streisand, speaking his mind and shouting down hecklers. Though I think instead of dropping the F bomb he'd say, "Sod off!" (I also think it's interesting that people complain that she swore at someone who paid hundreds of dollars for his ticket. Isn't he the asshole for interrupting a show that he knows his fellow audience members spent hundreds of dollars to see? This whole thing is just befuddling to me, like I've fallen down the rabbit hole.)

Just as there was John, there's Paul. John tried to heighten our political consciences, Paul believes we need "Silly Love Songs." The world is flexible enough for both points of view. You don't like politics mixed with your easy listening? Barry Manilow is touring, too, and his ticket prices are lower than Streisand's. Go see him instead.

But we shouldn't try to discourage the artist from commenting. Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie, Robert Redford, George Clooney, Bruce Springsteen ... all of them have used their art to expand my horizons and I'm grateful. Most of all, I'm grateful to John Lennon, who turned me on to it all. Funny how it was a Brit who turned me on to one of the best, one of the most intrinisic things about being American.

Happy belated birthday, John. I still miss 'ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.