Friday, August 27, 2010

I don't get it

I admit it -- I'm an unabashed fan girl. Whether it's Sir Paul McCartney or my beloved/beleaguered Chicago Cubs, or more recently NCIS' Jethro Gibbs, once I give my heart it's given. I'm as passionate and loyal to men I'll never meet as anyone on the planet.

But I'm sorry, I don't get this. There's so much darkness attached to Michael Jackson's legacy, so much denial in regards to his eccentricities, problems and character, such romance attached to his tawdry death … and this seems to be celebration of much of that.

On the other hand, the people of Gary are really suffering during this Recession, and the influx of cash will help. So I guess it's a good thing.

I'm just so much more ambivalent about this rather maudlin event than I am regarding so many other fanventions, which seem like good, life-affirming and completely silly fun.

2 comments:

  1. It does kinda sound creepy. I'm sure if I was a die-hard MJ fan it would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get it either. Let me investigate further...

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.