Monday, September 01, 2008

The GOP VP's nominee favors teaching "abstinence only"

From MSNBC.com: "Bristol Palin, one of Alaska Gov. Palin's five children with her husband, Todd, is about five months pregnant and is going to keep the child and marry the father, the Palins said in a statement released by the campaign of Republican presidential candidate John McCain."

I feel terrible for the poor girl. Being a pregnant senior must be rough enough. Being a pregnant senior and the daughter of the Republican vice presidential nominee has to be worse.

But, when your mother is the friendly Hockey Mom who is so comfortable telling the rest of us what we should do if we become pregnant (and, as a rape survivor I find her stance incredibly insensitive), and what to teach the following generation about reproduction (abstinence only), this must be off-the-chart dreadful.

Also, Sarah Palin knew her daughter was pregnant when she agreed to be on this ticket. She also knew this story would come out. I am confused by a mother's decision to put her unmarried daughter's expanding waistline on display. If Governor Palin is sophisticated enough politically to be a heartbeat away from the Presidency, she must realize that her daughter's condition is going to be the hot topic of talk radio and cable TV. I hope she was able to adequately explain to 17-year-old Bristol how much attention her condition would receive.

I am not looking at this as a Democrat. I'm looking at it as a woman. I say to Governor Palin, "Yenta, heal thyself." To her daughter, "Hang tough, Sweetie, you're in my prayers."

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so she knew and told them upfront...but now you got this hockey player getting pulled into it. He didn't ask for this...it's all very strange. How much of a Mom is she with her job and activities.

    I am watching the Steve Colbert show, you should try to see it on youtube. They are ripping apart all the comments this past weekend, "She's had executive experience..."

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.