Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I say a little prayer

I worked five years at an advertising agency that was run by a gentleman. A gentle man, too. I can't stress how rare that is in this business. The day he retired was one of the saddest of my professional life, for once the agency was taken over by a multi-national network, my world changed and was never to be the same.

He was a tough, savvy but honorable businessman. He treated his employees and clients equally well and was proud to have long relationships with both. He discouraged interoffice politics and power plays by saying, "Don't waste your time kissing my ass. Kiss up to your clients! If they're happy, and you're happy, I make money and I'm happy." In an industry filled with ravenous egos, he was a rarity.

I just got word that he has non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. I hope that he recovers fully and can go back to relaxing and enjoying his retirement. He is special, and deserves only good things.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:41 AM

    Aw, I'm sorry about your former boss. Keeping him in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.