Friday, February 01, 2008

And then there were two

Tonight's CNN debate was civil and focused and once again I was pleased with both my choices. I lean toward Obama because he thinks bigger -- an intellectual with a vision for his country. Hillary sounds like a talented, dedicated bureaucrat -- and after watching George W. Bush bungle Katrina, I certainly don't think a talented, dedicated bureaucrat would be a bad person to have in the White House. Still, when faced with our weakened position in the global community, an inequitable economy and healthcare system and the prospect of Supreme Court appointments that will have an impact on my civil liberties and every woman's right to choose, I think Obama is who my country needs right now. (Also, I worry about the irrational hatred many Conservatives have for Hillary, and how that might help them rally around and support a candidate they may not be enthusiasic about otherwise.)

But what I missed while watching the intellectual with vision debate the talented, dedicated bureaucrat was passion. A scrappy and uncompromising insistence on reminding that our fellow Americans are suffering, and that we as citizens we are responsible to one another. I missed John Edwards.

3 comments:

  1. I'm supporting Hillary. I really feel that she has the experience to make real change and she's compassionate enough to see all sides to an issue. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you they are both good for America. Hillary has one advantage, she is already known in the whole world knows all European and other country's politicians has a better overview from outside America and is certainly the favourite over here. Obama is kind of a freshman and would have to learn a lot concerning outside politics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son and I had a long chat about the election today. It was interesting, he thought Edwards should have stayed in longer to have some bargaining power. And unlike my parents, he thinks that Obama is electable over Clinton. Whereas my parents are freaking out that everyone hates Clinton and don't think that Obama is electable. I hope that the campaigns don't divide us and like you, there is some sadness in Edwards stepping out. Anything has to be better than what we have now.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.