Saturday, January 05, 2008

Poor Joe and the unfortunate Kibble Situation

My big ol' tomcat has a brain the size of a plum pit and a heart the size of all outdoors. He's always affectionate and trusting, but easily confused, which is why I'm upset that the Kibble Situation has had such an impact on him. He can't possibly understand it and it makes him so sad.

Here's the deal: Joey has always had a tendency toward urinary tract infection. That's why he ended up at the shelter in the first place -- his original family could afford neither the special food nor the medical care he required. He joined my household 10 years ago and, thanks to good advice and special attention from my vet, has had NO repeat infections.

The key is a premium dry cat food that is acceptable to all my cats but especially good for Joe's special needs. Because of storms and erratic weather out west, the vet hasn't received any new shipments since early December. We have been getting by with dry food purchased at Petco. All three cats seem to like the taste of this well enough, but only poor Joe has suffered any adverse effects.

It's not his urinary tract, thank God! It's his coat. He's got matts! No matter how gentle I am when I comb them, it still hurts. I tried to clip the matts away but that upset him, too, and I can't bear upsetting Joe. He doesn't understand. It confuses him. He looks so blue. He still loves me, of course, but that makes it worse. I'm his favorite human on earth. Why, oh why, am I doing this to him?

It's the unfortunate Kibble Situation, Joe! It's global warming and unpredictable weather. It's impassable roads and delayed railroad shipments. As soon as the Kibble Situation is resolved, I'll stop doing this to you. I promise. And your handsome gray coat will be shiny and matt-free once more. Honest!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.