Saturday, January 05, 2008

Like all the really good quizzes & memes …

… I stole this from Kwizgiver. It's known as "Privilege."

1. Father went to college No.

2. Father finished college No

3. Mother went to college No.

4. Mother finished college No.

5. Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor No

6. Were the same or higher class than your high school teachers Same

7. Had more than 50 books in your childhood home Definitely. My dad had many, many faults as a parent, but he was a big reader and encouraged reading.

8. Had more than 500 books in your childhood home See above.

9. Were read children's books by a parent Yes. I remember my mom's voice as she read (among others) Charlotte's Web and The Black Stallion to us at bedtime.

10. Had lessons of any kind before you turned 18 Art lessons, ballet lessons, swimming lessons and riding lessons. I remain a decent swimmer but was only good at horseback riding. I'm no artist, nor a dancer, but I have always had a way with critters.

11. Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18 See above

12. The people in the media who dress and talk like me are portrayed positively White middle class suburbanites? Yeah.

13. Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18 No

14. Your parents (or a trust) paid for the majority of your college costs I didn't attend college. No, that's not true. I went to a semester or two of community college, and I paid for it myself.

15. Your parents (or a trust) paid for all of your college costs See above.

16. Went to a private high school Nope. Same public school my Mom and uncle attended.

17. Went to summer camp Girl Scout daycamp every summer for years. Hated it every summer for years.

18. Had a private tutor before you turned 18 Nope.

19. Family vacations involved staying at hotels Yes. Even when visiting family, we always stayed in hotels and motels. And I still prefer that to crashing to with relatives.

20. Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18 No. Lots of hand-me-downs. My older sister was only a year ahead of me in school, so whenever she got new clothes I could pretty much count on it being in my closet soon enough.

21. Your parents bought you a car that was not a hand-me-down from them No.

22. There was original art in your house when you were a child No. Not a priority for either of my folks.

23. You and your family lived in a single family house Yes

24. Your parent(s) owned their own house or apartment before you left home Hard to answer this one because it was paid off, then they took out a second mortgage less than a year before I left

25. You had your own room as a child  Yes. Thank God! It was my sanctuary

26. You had a phone in your room before you turned 18 No. But my sister and I had our phone with its own number in the basement.

27. Participated in an SAT/ACT prep course No. My poor mother had to battle to get me to take the tests at all.

28. Had your own TV in your room in high school Yes

29. Owned a mutual fund or IRA in high school or college Oh, come on! 

30. Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16 Nope. All of our family vacations started with long, painful, boring car rides.

31. Went on a cruise with your family No. And that's OK. I wonder if I wouldn't be bored on a cruise.

32. Went on more than one cruise with your family See above

33. Your parents took you to museums and art galleries as you grew up No. That's what Girl Scouts and school field trips were for. 

34. You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family Yes. Completely. My father liked us to believe we were wealthy. I guess we kinda were, but only because he cheated on his income taxes and borrowed, borrowed, borrowed. It all caught up with him shortly after I graduated from high school. Unbeknownst to him, I helped my mom out by paying the electric bill in addition to rent as soon as I got a job. It made me FUCKING CRAZY to hold my tongue when he scolded and lectured me about my responsibilities as long as I was living under "his" roof. I knew about the second mortgage and I was keeping the lights on. I'm still very quick to assume hypocrisy in authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.