Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Heads & Tails #4


Today's theme is SCHOOL.

The first thoughts that come to mind are negative because I cannot tell you how much I hated high school. But, upon further reflection, there were other kinds of school I attended in the fall that I did, indeed, enjoy.

Sunday School. I never really got much out of it from a theological standpoint, but it did leave me feeling connected to the congregation in a way that helped when the more serious Confirmation Classes began. Favorite memory: Once I became one of the "older kids," I was allowed to help open the special envelopes whenever there was an additional offering designated to support the Sunday School. This made me feel terribly important!

Kindergarten. I felt my teacher was quite beautiful and talented in all she did. She could play the piano perfectly, she had a lovely singing voice, she could draw anything … In retrospect she was probably very average in all she did, but there was something about her nature that drew me in and made me feel comfortable leaving my mommy and staying with her for a few hours each afternoon. For that, she will always have a special place in my heart.

For more information about Heads & Tails, or to play along yourself, visit meme-mistress Skittles.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:56 PM

    wow, so interesting--thanks for sharing that!! Have a wonderful Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice memory of your kindergarten teacher. I'm sure she helped a lot of children feel more secure in their new surroundings.

    I used to like Sunday School because we got to make stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember going to Sunday School when I was a kid. I really enjoyed it. Up until recently I actually taught Sunday School myself until the birth of my son. I hope to go back when he gets a little older. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post - loved reading that about your kindergarten teacher!! :) So glad you had a good experience there!! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the topic this week because I am reading a lot of recollections of schools of all types. It is reminding me of what I need to do as a teacher so that kids feel comfortable, heard, safe and successful. I can understand the Sunday School feeling; I had it too. Thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.