Friday, September 21, 2007

He never fails to disappoint, does he?

"He" would be my President, George W. Bush. I am a patriotic American. I believe in our Constitution and am continuously amazed by the document's flexibility and wisdom. I want George W. Bush to do well because if he succeeds, my country benefits.

Yesterday, he sunk to a new low and I'm so angry and upset and disillusioned I could puke.

I'm talking about his press conference yesterday, when he took off on the Move-On ad slamming General Petraeus. Now please know that I do not support Move-On nor that ad. No soldier deserves that treatment.

That ad was as dirty a trick as what the Bush Campaign did to war hero John Kerry with those hideous Swiftboat ads. Or what the Bushies did when they likened Max Cleland (who lost both legs and an arm in VietNam) to Bin Laden. Or when they smeared John McCain by implying that his time in VietNam had left him mentally unstable. No soldier deserves that treatment.

It's measurably worse, though, when that treatment comes at the hands of a man elected by his party and his nation than it does when it comes from Move-On.org. Yesterday's hypocrisy was so thick that it's painful and infuriating.

My President lied to us about why we're at war in Iraq. Never mind that if we had waited to go in until after our efforts in Afghanistan were a success, and if he had said that Iraq (like Darfur) was the victim of a cruel, genocidal regime, I would have supported our effort wholeheartedly. Instead he had to exploit our fears after 9/11 by tying Saddam to Bin Laden. Cynical and dishonest.

Abu Gharib. Pat Tillman. Katrina. Mocking Karla Tucker. This man is MY President. It hurts when his Administration behaves this way.

It shouldn't continue to hurt me. It should just be what I expect from this man.

But if he is incapable of being heroic, couldn't he at least be decent?

1 comment:

  1. yea wading into move on is something that the leader of the free world really needs to do. Tampering with free speech. what an asshole

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.