Monday, August 27, 2007

August Happiness -- Sunday 26

Watching the Cubs game with my nephew. He's starting second grade on Wednesday, and this is a very cool age. He's curious and funny and feeling very independent, very sure of himself. Plus he now has the patience for baseball (in years gone by he was more interested in the vendors selling food behind home plate than what the batter was doing). We discussed my current favorite player, my all-time favorite players, and Grandma Ruth's favorite player, Ryne Sandberg. He was born after my grandmother, his great-grandmother, died, so it's good that he know her through stories like this. The generational component of Cub fandom is as important to me as the ivy and the cold beer.

3 comments:

  1. They're so sweet when they're his age! How cool that you're sharing your love of the game with him. It's something he'll remember and treasure about you in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:36 PM

    Sounds like fun! BB's not quite that old (6) but is really getting to the point when we can truly enjoy and outing like that, have a grown-up conversation, etc. I love it.

    I especially love that you seem to enjoy doing things one-on-one with the kids in your family. I know they'll look back on their adventures with you fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, do you hear that sound behind you? I think it might be the Cardinals

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.