Monday, August 27, 2007

But his life looks SO GOOD from here

Owen Wilson, who writes as well as acts and makes tens of millions a year and has one of the cutest broken noses in film history, is in the hospital. Early reports are that he tried to take his own life, and his short statement ("I respectfully ask that the media allow me to receive care and heal in private during this difficult time.") doesn't seem to dispel that impression.

I know I should be up in arms about Alberto Gonzalez and his rumored replacement (who has handled the Katrina aftermath so exquisitely). But this bothers me more. First of all, because I've enjoyed Owen Wilson's work every time I've seen him on screen, going back to a big-budget but still cheesy horror film called The Haunting back in 1999. And because when anyone who seems to have it all ends up in such a dark place, it first makes me say, "What the fu ...?" and then it breaks my heart.

6 comments:

  1. Money can't buy happiness, such a trite saying, but in this case true.
    Gonzales was a pleasant surprise today...not to sure that the rumored replacement is anything more than a rumor at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gonzo doesnt even feel like a happy moment, because hes mucked things up so much.

    Owen shocks me, yet it doesnt if I think about it. He plays that sensitive goof because he is able to channel the sensitive

    ReplyDelete
  3. But Jenny, he isn't *just* rich. Owen Wilson is also genuinely talented and good looking. I'd settle for any one of those, and he's all three! It's so sad that he isn't able to enjoy all his gifts. And it's a reminder to me that we have no idea how another person's life can fee.

    And Spark, I think I have Bush 43 Fatigue. I should be concerned about the confirmation of a new AG. But I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:37 AM

    It was surprising to me too. He seemed to be in a happy position, but boom, suddenly he has suicidal tendencies. I don't believe this was because of the fame and fortune though. He might have had it even before he attained all this success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything you've said...a disappointment and sadness about the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes it's the funny people who are the saddest ones around. As Smokey Robinson once sang, tears of a clown.

    As for Big Al, I'm with sparky duck. I'm so frustrated by the mess he's left that I can't do a happy dance over his departure.

    Not yet, anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.