Saturday, March 23, 2024

Three Nice Things about Myself: Day 23

 

My blogging buddy, Kwizgiver, wrote a post that really resonated with me. She detailed how self-care helped her helped her prevail during a (ridiculously) tough month. Her tips were very wise and so doable! So she has inspired me to take one and integrate it into my own life.

Since I can be a pretty harsh self-critic, this is the one I chose. I hope I can do this every day during March. By then it should be a habit, right?

Three nice things about myself -- March 23:

1) I learned something new. I found about Rita Lakin. Her story is inspiring. A 31-year-old widow with three sons, she found herself in Los Angeles with no means of supporting her family. She taught herself to be a screenwriter and for most of the 60s and 70s wrote for network TV. No training. Just a desire to feed her boys but "not work at Woolworth's." When she retired from TV she began writing cozy mystery and had 9 "Gladdy Gold" mysteries to her credit. What a life! I'm so glad I fell down the internet rabbit hole and met her today. I like myself for my curiosity.

2) I tried something new today. My friend Elaine is into Too Good to Go, an app that allows you buy "Surprise Bags" of food from local stores/restaurants at a deep discount. It's food that likely would be disposed of otherwise. Elaine says she has a freezer filled with stew and pizza from a bistro in her neighborhood. So today I tried it. For $7.15, I got a grocery bag of bakery from Whole Foods. Two kinds of muffins, a whole loaf of wheat bread, double chocolate chip cookies and a half dozen bagels -- all for $7.15! I like that I got out of my comfort zone and saved money.

3) I did something about my left heel. At least I think I did. I made an appointment with a local podiatrist because my left heel twinges sometimes. It's not constant and it's not a pain, it's just a feeling I'm aware of. It goes away when I ice it. Anyway, I had heel spurs 25 years ago and it was awful. I don't want to experience that again. So I doctor shopped. I booked an appointment online but haven't heard back. I'll call Monday. But here's the thing: I liked that I was proactive.

 

2 comments:

  1. I have heel spurs and plantar fasciitis. It hurts and doesn't help with the exercise efforts. The only time mine improves is when I stay totally off my feet, and that seldom happens. I'm glad you're trying to do something about it before it becomes a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added Gladdy Gold to my TBR. Thanks for that tip!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.